• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HYDOR and ME =)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thorilan

ok guys im gonna paste some comments from email correspondance between me and hydor official Matt Herreid

you will find some of this interesting because it may make some of you happy and others sad

I believe most of your issues pertain to the fact that the current Hydor Seltz series of pumps are intended to be used by aquarium and pond hobbyists. Ponds and aquariums are intended to support aquatic life. Part of aquatic life is detritus and solid particles. In ponds especially, solid particles are a regular hazard to water pumps and filters. Tight tolerances and bits of sticks and leaves are not a good combination. I think lengthening the impeller shaft would create problems for the average aquatic hobbyist, but I will mention it to Hydor of Italy.

Perhaps Hydor of Italy can look into making a Seltz version specifically for the PC cooling industry.

now about the L35 impellor and the L30 body
The L35 uses a unidirectional impeller and the new motor assembly used 19W. The L30 II uses a bidirectional impeller and the motor uses 27W. I do not believe the impellers are interchangeable due to the redesigned motor on the L35

about widening the intake on the pumps via file or cutting ( note in doing so you may permenantly damage or ruin your pump by changing the suction patern from high to low preasure in the pump)

I have heard of aquarium hobbyists widening the openings without issues, but I cannot really comment as it’s not something we would ever experiment with in our normal course of dealing.

Hi Dan,

Just a quick follow up with more information.

Hydor Italy is currently working on a PC cooling version of the Seltz pumps. I’ll forward your e-mail ASAP to the engineering staff.

Also, please inspect your L35. It appears that many of your issues were addressed in the creation of the L35. The flow cutouts are enlarged, and the impeller seating area has been redesigned as has the impeller.

Thanks again for your input.

Take care,

Matt Herreid

Whoohoo that's great news ! A giant of the industry aknowledged the existence of the watercooling market ! Could be a baby step, but since it's a giant.. it's a giant step ;) Looking foward to see what they'll do actually.

SureFoot, if they did acknowledge us, the pc version would be 12V DC, lack a filter, have a cone/screw-shaped impellor rather than the current star looking ones and also have possibly a small resevoir built in

all that with enough head to beat two CSP-750's in a series

and dead silence (<20db)

and proally end up costing ~70usd

we'll have to wait and see though

The L35 impeller was a step in the right direction.
For an ideal PC watercooling pump, i'd drop the mandatory built-in res and make it an option. Make the water chamber assymetric (with a side outlet, instead of the current central outlet).
Dead silent, and very low wattage. Oh and with no aluminium (or metal, to keep things simple for everyone) part anywhere in contact with water.
1200lph, high head, let's say 3m, that would be quite good.
Oh and built-in rubber mounts :)

SureFoot, actually thats not a bad idea, a pump with **TWO** outlets, or maybe even more, say like the polarflo blocks, with a re-config-able setup

or even more than one inlet

or even better, dual impellors for more head rather than flow, say cones facing each other at 90 degrees or 45 degrees, should have much better pressure

but 12V DC is a **must** if i were to design it

Make the water chamber assymetric (with a side outlet, instead of the current central outlet).
this isnt always important. as long as the design is efficient it could be pear shaped ( some euros will know what im talking about :) ) and it wouldnt matter. but by making the outlet in a central position you can more easily rig series configs with a lot of the designs i have seen.

there will always be tradeoffs in the things you want/need because of physics etc effecting what is possible ( or money effecting it)

no . come on give me a little break here . just got the emial a day ago and had some info sent to italy . kinda early for word on it . will give info when i get it unless im bound by an NDA

Senater_Cache, a 6 month product cycle is already *very fast*, to give you an idea on how much long you'll have to wait... i'd say 1 year from now to be realistic.

Wow, good work Thorilan! I love it when people take the time to contact the companies like Hydor that make products we use, and help get the ball rolling.

This should be very interesting, seeing what they come up with, and how it stands up to competition, price-wise. The low-price, high-performance Waterblock is a battlefield right now, perhaps a similar thing will happen with 12V, designed-for-PC pumps.

I also wanted to mention that most pump' heads can be rotated 90 degrees, so that the output is going sideways, 90 degrees to the intake. With clever mounting, it all works out good ;)

Back