• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first WC computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

invisible hand

My first WC computer (pic inside)

Finished my first water cooling job today....see attachment

I have:

DD TDX cpu water block
DD Maze4 gpu block
swiftech MCP600
86 Chevy chevette heater core

Attachments

• DSC00102.JPG
    DSC00102.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 420
Very powerful setup, you'll get very good temps out of this ;)
Quick question: the way you put the heatercore is weird, why not putting in directly in front, with the fan pulling air into the case ?

SureFoot said:
Quick question: the way you put the heatercore is weird, why not putting in directly in front, with the fan pulling air into the case ?

Does it matter?.... My temps seem good and I can feel the air flowing well through the heater core.

Also:

This took me all day and four dremal cutting discs. I used a 3% water wetter solution and my pH level are good..

invisible hand said:
Does it matter?.... My temps seem good and I can feel the air flowing well through the heater core.

Also:

This took me all day and four dremal cutting discs. I used a 3% water wetter solution and my pH level are good..

I am in the process of installing my wc setup...and damnz...some people will look for an excuse to use the dremel. I don't think it's fun at all. I was busy trying to install it yesterday from 12 till 10, and still not done....oh and I only used three disks :p

invisible hand said:
Temp difference will be small enough not to be noticeable. But noise will be reduced (admitting your fan is *pushing* air) - the high pressure zone creates a low-frequency pulse that is quite loud.
Also it would simplify tube routing - less 'tight' bends - as the core would be further away from the rest.

Well, if you don't mind, i'll post a picture and some links too

Ok, nearly everything is bought- stuff, but i still like it.
640_wakue_hauptkuehler.jpg

And as i promised, some attatchments:

Attachments

• 640 WaKü AB1- Perspektive CC.jpg
    640 WaKü AB1- Perspektive CC.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 220
  • 640 WaKü GraKa- Persprektive CC.jpg
    640 WaKü GraKa- Persprektive CC.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 640 WaKü Mainboard CC.jpg
    640 WaKü Mainboard CC.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 209
Not meaning me, right :-/

If you do- well, you don't want to know.
Ok, it was about 310€... kind of expensive, but you don't hear anything right now... 2 fans left, on the heatercore. Everything is watercooled, CPU, chipset, GPU/ VPU, harddisks... not yet the mosfets, maybe I'll manage to build a small cooler for that, but by now i'm satisfied... :santa: :bday:

SureFoot said:
Very powerful setup, you'll get very good temps out of this ;)
Are you saying that he should change the setup so the air is being pulled through the radiator and then dumped into the case?
This would seem counterintuitive.
Don't you want the hot air evacuated from the case?

clocker2 said:
Are you saying that he should change the setup so the air is being pulled through the radiator and then dumped into the case?
This would seem counterintuitive.
Don't you want the hot air evacuated from the case?
No.
There are 3 reasons for my remark:
* conventional axial fans lose efficiency when faced to high backpressure. In short terms, they "pull" better than they "push". Moreover they produce less noise when in "pull" configuration.
* Because water<->air heat exchangers are VERY sensitive to air flow and temperature.
The temperature inside the case is noticeably hotter than outside temp, and not by a small margin. The difference in terms of cooling efficiency is quite noticeable as well. (1)
* and air exiting the heat exchanger is *generally* (2) way cooler than the air inside the case anyway, so it helps with cooling, albeit not as much as a conventional intake fan. By putting appropriate blowholes (can be done without fans, just remember hot air rises, and don't be shy why the Dremel / Hacksaw / torture tools.. an put your imagination at work (there are some sexy grills out there)

(1) i suppose a closed case. Of course if it's run open, there's no "inside" to speak of.
(2) with a "good enough" fan, of course. Low airflow = hot air and low rad efficiency..

1.) Isn't his fan already in a "pull" configuration?

2.) Doesn't this assume facts not in evidence?
My case ambient is not significantly higher than the room ambient ( under 3-5 degrees higher typically), this is "noticable", but is it significant?

well, I don't know if its worth the trouble to change the fan configuration. My temps have dropped to 31c idle and about 36c underload with fans on high.

And K4mui, nice rig....your computer is 'slightly' more visually appealing then mine :D

looks very similar

i like how u have the pump setup. what nozzle are u using on the TDX?

my setup
Picture+015.jpg

lithker said:
i like how u have the pump setup. what nozzle are u using on the TDX?

my setup
Picture+015.jpg

I'm not sure what nozzle is installed, I'm using the one it shipped with. Which one should I use? there are about 5 extra's.

Edit: I was able to bump my OC up to 3336mhz, computer posted as high as 3.6 but crashed soon after.

clocker2 said:
2.) Doesn't this assume facts not in evidence?
My case ambient is not significantly higher than the room ambient ( under 3-5 degrees higher typically), this is "noticable", but is it significant?

for a given airflow the rate at which a rad sheds heat is directly proportional to the temperature differential between the water in the rad and the air used to cool it. since in steady state this rate must equal the heat added by block(s) and pump, the water temp differential over air will be the same.
in other words, if you use air that is 3C higher to cool the rad, you will get water temperatures that are 3C higher as a result, and this will result in CPU temperature (and the temp of any other watercooled components) also being 3C higher :(
obviously the more efficient the components are the higher a proportional effect this 3C has on temps ....

Absolutely right :thup:
This is "significant enough" to be detected by our crude CPU temp probes.

Another high point for the "fan-pulling-in-case" setup is that with a closed case, the fan is totally enclosed, reducing noticeably it's perceived noise level.

SureFoot,
Using the setup that you propose ("fan-pulling-in-case") and granting that there will be a noticable drop in CPU temp...
Aren't the benefits gained offset by the effect of the now heated air on the rest of the system components.
After all, everything else in the case has now also been raised in temp, no?
Including the pump, the tubing, the waterblock, etc., not to mention the HDDs and optical drives.
Is this not a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul?

Back