• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Refrigerated Resevoir

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionnt

Im going to building a new PC later on this year and i plan on water cooling. Its going to ahve and AMD64 and a X800 Pro in it that will be water cooled. Naturally this is going to generate alot of heat.

The corner here my desk is is in like acuby hol almost in my room, it doesnt get that good of airflow. Right now in my current system i get ambient case temps of about 85-90 F. I dont think that is too bad, but i would like to kee the case and components as cool as possible in the new PC.

I know that putting the entire PC in a fridge most likely wont work because it cant really handle having a heat source, but waht if you had a large resevoir in the fridge? M theory is after the water is pumped through the CPU and GPU, then cooled in the radiator, it will flow into the resevoir in the fridge. This would help cool the water fairly well, and in theory drop it down below the ambient room temperature. Once it is pulled out of the resevoir and pumped back through the system the water should be cooler than the ambient room temperature allowing for a beter cooling system.

Has any one ever tried this? or does anyone tihnk it will work?

The Loop would look something like:
Hydor L35 Pump -> DD RBX -> DD Maze4 GPU -> DD Dual 120mm Heatercore -> Res (in Fridge) -> Hydor L35 Pump

please take this response with a grain of salt....

What you propose has been attempted many times.
My understanding is that it doesn't work very well.
Regular refridgerators are not designed to cool things with a constant heat source.
They are good at taking something and lowering it's temp and then holding it there, but faced with a constant input of heat they are overworked and fail.

Furthermore, the water doesn't spend enough time in the refridgerated reservoir to become cold, kind of like waving a hot can of Coke through your freezer and expecting it to be cold.

I could be wrong though.
Lord knows, it wouldn't be the first time.

and here too:

http://aquariumpros.com/aquaprostore/CH.shtml

the first ones, and also the "delta star" series but not the "cyclone" series or anything that has a "drop in" probe or coil unit

the delta star series have almost everything titanium, which prevents corrosion, while the vanillas has stainless steel

if all of these are too expensive, go for the "via cool chiller" at the end of the page, should be just over 100usd from ebay last i checked

look around and prepare to ebay A LOT

_

Yea, i was in Target yesterday and saw a Thermoelectric refrigerator, its essentially a giant peltier unit in the form of a fridge. A fridge like that would work too i would imagine.

do you get condensation in this setup? would you have to insulate everything?

this has ben done before here is a pic from Quakecon 2003
qc2k3.ym.2003-08-15.794.case-mods--external-watercooling-with-fridge.jpg
not sure how well it worked

orionnt said:
Yea, i was in Target yesterday and saw a Thermoelectric refrigerator, its essentially a giant peltier unit in the form of a fridge. A fridge like that would work too i would imagine.

no no no no no

thorilan said:
its better to put the rad in the fridge as it is more important

Yes, I guess that would be "better", but it still wouldn't work.

Back