• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCP600 or Mag3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[KX3]rAge

Well I'm thinking of going water cooling but if I do it's going to be with the cheapest yet most effective parts I can find/mod.
I'm already certain that I've eliminated the need for a rad and replaced it with a heatercore, probably '86 Chevette.
Going with T-line because it's cheaper, unless I make my own custom res.
Gonna get the MCW6002-A block when it comes out for my CPU and probably the maze4 or something for my GPU.
Now the main thing left is the pump. I had my head set on getting the MCP600 for a while. I had heard many good things about it. But recently I've also ehard some good things about the Mag3, which would be significantly cheaper. If I went with the Mag3 and made my own relay for it would I notice any performance decrease from the MCP600?? Also the other main point aside from price is silence. I want as near to a silent rig as I can get.
So which is quieter and which is more effective?
Thanks

The MCP 600 is the better pump, but as you said, it is more expensive.

You're get what you pay for though, and the MCP 600 should be quieter, not to mention the convenience of it being a 12V pump. I'd have to say the MCP 600 is one of the best pumps I've ever used.

If you're on a budget, the Mag 3 is probably a better choice for you, and you won't see any signifigance performance difference between the two on a one block system like you have planned. Buy a few neoprene pads to mount it on, and noise will be reduced signifigantly as well.

Either pump puts out enough pressure enough to handle more waterblocks should you choose to add them in later, so you've still got a lot of future upgrade room, regardless of which you purchase, I think you've got a very nice system planned out :)

Ah, a 'Heatercore' and a 'Radiator' are the same thing, except that the "made for PC" radiators are sold for exorbitant amounts brand new. A Chevvy core, or a used BIX if you can find one is definetely your best bet in my books :)

Alright well next time I'm in town I'll see just how much cheaper the Mag3 is and if it is not THAT much cheaper I'll just get the MCP600 just for the noise issue. It is quite possible I would add a GPU block to the loop, as I said above, probably the Maze4.
But as you say either pump should be well enough for that.
Thanks for your input :)

Back