• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Re-Ionising De-Ionised Water

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaso

okay so i went into town today to get me some Distilled water. But Nowhere sells it. So i've had to settle for De-Ionised water, thing is i've been reading how thats Corrisive and can ruin my system so i was thinking could i re-ionise it. Maybe a pinch of salt would do it?

Don't use salt.

Using deionized water will not ruin your system - you do not want to continue using it long term, but using it a few times will not hurt.

It damages your system because it is more apt to pull ions from the metal in your loop - which you would notice over time as corrosion. (Since it is deionized, it is hungry for Ions when it comes into contact with ionized material and it will pull them away to achieve equilibrium)

well the problem is telling how much is enough. if you left them too long the water would have excess minerals causing high levels of conductivity and reducing the thermal properties. not enough will cause accelerated corrosion. no distilled water in england at all?

DI water does not stay DI long, so even if you ran it in your system for a while it would be fine, just dont flush and fill your system every day and you will be fine.

Just stick some antifreeze or WW or Zerex or something in it. That will 're-ionise' it straight away.

De-Ionised water is fine to use. It does not cause corrosion. Your right in thinking it takes ions out of the metals in the loop to 're-ionise' its self but its not a problem.

(here in england distilled water is very hard to come by so nearly everyone uses deionised) :)

slater3333uk said:
(here in england distilled water is very hard to come by so nearly everyone uses deionised) :)

Really? Why? They sell jugs and jugs and jugs of it here in Walmart. You could fill up a swimming pool with it for 20 bucks...

Not 100% sure but it think its something to do with a regulation that says you need a cirtan % of calcium in all water sold and distilled does not meet this requirement.

(england is full of stupid rules like that)

Back