• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech MCW50-T for GeForce 6800 ultra?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nandro

Disabled
Would the MCW50-T work on the 6800 ultra with the adapter that they sell for just the watercooling setup? What do you need to do to a card to run a pelt on it? I already have a pretty good custom water setup going, and I am going to be changing it to my A64 rig and hopefully get some killer OC's with the ultra.

I don't know if it would fit on the graphic card but if it fits it would need a pelt upgrade to make a difference in temperature

An 80W TEC is made to be used at 16V, at 12V it handles at about ~55W. A 172W Peltier is made to be run at 24V, at 12V (if my math is right) it comes to roughly ~66W.

An 80W TEC would probably work, the 6800 apparantly doesn't put out that much heat compared to older GPUs, like the R350, but your temperatures wouldn't be great, especially if the block is added to the rest of your loop, with a CPU block also adding to your water temperature, and further increasing your peltier's hot side temperature.

A more powerful peltier could also be a bad thing if your CPU and GPU are on the same loop, sharing water. A 172W peltier on ~20+ V puts out a *LOT* of heat on the hot side, and would uttely trash your CPU temperatures.

Having a TEC in your water circuit, with other un-TECed waterblocks, becomes a difficult and ultimately futile balancing game. The TEC hotside dumps heat into your water, which in turn ruins your CPU temperatures, which in turn heats up the water even more, which is bad for everything being cooled.

If you want to get the most out of a TEC-cooled GPU, you really need to have it on a seperate loop, independant of your CPU, and other waterblocks.

I have a spare corsair cooling system, the one that looks like a black box I could use for just the video. I also need to do my HD's. The 2 raptors I have a real hot. I posted in the storage section, I have never fealt anything like it on a HD. I imagine that would just make my whole case super toasty!

Back