• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Took my heater core out the case and cpu temps rose

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

netboy

Registered
I took my heater core out of my case so it could get better air flow, i didnt change anything else, i just moved it 6 inches to the left so it sits right outside the case. I did this because the front of the case's plastic is restricing air flow (you can hear it), but now my temps are like 4Ch higher...WTF?

Why did you assume that removing the core from the case would change the "airflow" at all?
Isn't the airflow a product of the attached fan ( which presumably you did not change)?
I can see how such a move might lower your case ambient temps ( that's why I did it), but I'm not sure it would automatically result in lower CPU temps.

I have no idea why your temps went up...something about your new setup has altered the flowrate of your system, but I can't say what.

clocker2 said:
Why did you assume that removing the core from the case would change the "airflow" at all?
Isn't the airflow a product of the attached fan ( which presumably you did not change)?

I just figured if it took it out, the front of the case would not be restricing air flow...i cut the metal part of the case to fit the HC, but i left teh actual front of the case alone so it would still look normal when i put it all together. and im using a fan shroud from dtek

Humm, I think this is a long shot but can you take the grill out of your case and place it over the front of the heatercore? I wonder if this is triggering turbulence earlier than the smooth flow that might occur external to the case. :-/

Netboy,
I assume that you fan is blowing through the radiator ( not pulling IN, as SureFoot would recommend)?
And you temps lower when faced by the restriction ( such as it may be) of the front bezel?
That IS weird.

Airflow.

The fan was previously blowing air over the GPU block and pump. With that airflow removed those two components could be running hotter, resulting in the rise in temps you observed.

Drewpy said:
Airflow.

The fan was previously blowing air over the GPU block and pump. With that airflow removed those two components could be running hotter, resulting in the rise in temps you observed.
What fan are you talking about?

my fan is sucking in....i think drewpy is talking about that....the air sucking is being pushed over the gpu block, i guess also cooling it???

Well, if your fan is pulling air through the radiator (through the restrictive front bezel) the mystery deepens.

That looks like a Chieftec/Antec case. Lots of air is able to move through the front bezel on those cases so I don't see the bezel as an issue.

The only thing that makes since in this case is that the fan sucking air through the heatercore is then blowing that air on the waterblock's and aiding in the cooling. However, one would think that the air that has just pased through the heater core would be prertty warm.

The only other thing that could be causing a rise in your temp is unseen hose restriction or pump stress.

i thought about the pullling, but it wasnt...so i dont know, oh well i give up, im gonna install this caprice core anyways....thanks guys

Back