• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling cpu and mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JBierm44

Registered
Hello

Ive been dreaming of a liquid cooled system for awile, and i finally ordered all the parts I'd need including a MCW6002waterblock and MCW20chipset cooler from Swiftech. When it came to buying a radiator however I read that building your own out of a heater core or a transmission fluid cooler has the potential to be much more effective due to the greater area for the dissipation of heat. I purchaes a tranny cooler that measures about 12" by 8" (much larger than the general liquid cooling radiator) and I plan on mounting it on a pane of plexi-glass on the outside of my case. My idea was that I'd mount a second pane of plexi-glass an inch or so over the radiator cut holes and affix two 80mm fans to that pane of plexi-glass so thier wash is directed over the radiator.

My question is, should I put sides on this enclosure or will the fans be just as effective without plexi-glass sides? Any insights are welcome and I'll be sure to let everyone know how it runs.

My current temps are 43 C on the chip and 31 on the mobo and I'm anxious to see what this liquid cooling system does !

Cheers
Josh

--------------------

64 Athlon 3000+
ASUS K8V SE Delux mobo
ATI 9600XT

You will want the flow from your fans to be contained so that it must go through the radiator and not take the easy way out and go around it.

The difference may not be significant enough to outweigh aesthetic/construction considerations though. You'll have to try it and see.

Back