• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I tweak my Asetek WaterChill for max performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ctty

I am currently using a Asektek WaterChill with the CPU waterblock and a dangerden maze4 GPU block with a L20 & 10mm tubings to cool my Athlon64 3200+. Well, I am not too satisified with the performance I am getting now(53degrees full load) @ 2GHz. Is there anything I can do to tweak the performance of the kit without spending too much cash or changing any of the equipment?

is the radiator taking in fresh cold air? (it needs to)

what coolant are you using? (change it, flush your system, and get something better)

is your cpu block mounted right? (it might not be, might need to be re-mounted, more pressure, etc)

Yea, my Black Ice Pro is cooled by 2 x 120mm fans taking in air from front of system. As for the coolant, what do you recommend that can be gotten easily and is not too ex or smells bad? Most importantly, it must give me better cooling performance. My CPU block is mounted right with AS5.

if i remember right, neither the maze or waterchill have aluminum is coolant isn't needed (coolant does NOT improve temps, it only makes them worse, but is sometimes required if u have a mix of metals in ur system)

to improve ur temps u might want to consider a few things..
*a larger radiator (heatercore, 5"x5" or larger)

*resetting ur waterblock (even if it looks right, it might not be. u can't see the bottom ur cpu after all right?)

*a stronger pump like a mag 3 or mcp600 (will only show significiant improvement w/ the larger rad)

*A stronger fan (if u don't go with a larger rad)

a 64 and highend graphic card (which i assume u have) will generate a lot of heat, possibly more then ur BI can handle. I believe this is the source of the problem.

What liquid/mix are you using?

Plain distilled water is the best*, but some additives may be necessary to reduce corrosion or inhibit fungal growth.

When additives are used for the above reasons, or to add color, the smallest amount possible to be effective for the purpose is best: the more additive used, the less efficient the water will be.

Is there much airflow restriction for air to get into or out of the case? Airflow is hurt by too much "stuff" in the way- case front bezels, the built-in "fan grills" in most cases, etc. This can help quite a bit in some instances. (My main machine has a front door which blocks rad airflow- when I open it, temps go down quite a bit.)

How high are the ambient (room) and case temp?
A hot room will still make the system run hot.
If your case doesn't have enough airflow the system will aslo get hot.

Thx for all the input people. I use distilled water in the w/c system but there is still algae... arg.. The anti algae solution was already added. Korndog, you are right, I am using a R9800Pro flashed to XT speeds with my A64. The ambient here is around 26-30degrees. The two fans I am using to cool my BIX are Deltas 0.60A 120mm with >100cfm airflow at max speed. Well changing the equipment is out of the question here as I dun want to spend the money and time reinstalling the whole setup again. I just want to do some minor tweaks to improve the performance of the kit. Some questions to put forward to you people:
1) Why is it that on my BIX, the temperature of the water inlet and outlet feels similarly warm to me but the other parts of the radiator seems cool. I thought since the water should have been cooled by the radiator, the water outlet should feel cooler?

2) Why is it that sometimes when I fill the system, I can get the water in the reservoir to swirl, but most of the time I am unable to get it to do so. I am using the default Asetek reservoir. Is there something fishy there?

when your radiator cannot remove the heat from the water fast enough, the water heats up to compensate. when the radiator get hotter then the air, i can remove heat faster.

the swirl is just a whirlpool from ur pump, aslong as u don't see air going into ur pump, it should be fine.

Any idea how to remove the algae? I would prefer running a solution through the system to remove it. The algae is white in colour and impossible to remove with paper.

Back