• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why no TRUE 1/2" ID bay reservoirs??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Despotes

Why is it I cannot find a bay res with true 1/2" ID holes.?? (1/2"X5/8"NPT barbs?) Anybody know where??
You would think DD, D-Tek, FrozenCPU, Cooltechnica or somebody would decide to accomodate the 1/2" tube users and make a less restrictive reservoir. :cry:
I e-mailed DD about this and they said there wasn't a demand for them.
If the option was made available, I'm sure most 1/2" tube users would prefer the less restrictive option.
Do you want a less restrictive reservoir?? If so, start e-mailing! :clap:

Thanks--- :)

I have a feeling that the people who put up with the less flexible 1/2 tubing ( myself included) opt for a T-line due to the flow reduction associated with most resevoirs.

My feeling is similar:
I think that most who use 1/2" tube are going for the absolute MAXIMUM performance possible, and generally speaking, reservoirs are a much bigger drain on the system than a T-Line.

Reservoirs are more commonly used for ease of use or cool looks- and the performance compromise of using 3/8" (which isn't all THAT big) is not much of a problem in those systems.

Because of that, I think the market for them would be fairly small...
A small market is usually not worth getting into for a business...or has very high priced products.

I must be the only exception? Yes, reservoirs are a bigger drain mainly because of the size of the inlet/outlet holes. I want maximum performance, but want the looks of a res too, not the unsightly T-line. I think most people who have 1/2" ID lines and want to use a res, if given a choice, would opt for one with less restrictive fittings.
DD already offers a res with "High Flow Fittings". Unfortunately, not true 1/2" ID.
There are res users who want maximum performance too.

tqr2.bmp

you could try to get this reservoir, and use two of the outlets and find a y-fitting that's a true 1/2" diameter. I thought about that, because i have an eheim 1250, and wanted to use the original inlet of the pump (which is lager than 1/2") but I couldn'n find a y-fitting that's a true 1/2" diameter. I then was thinking about making one from plexi, just a thick sheet and drill a y-cannel (sp) in it. But then you'll need every fitting in your setup to be 1/2" ID.
And those fittings are hard to find here...

I like the looks of some of those expensive german ones:

But I'm not willing to pay as much as they want for them

I would like something to allow 5/8 flow for my pump inlet:

So I tried this and it leaked due to the loose threading on the eheim part.

Cyrix_2k said:
Or you could drill the input/output holes out and use your own barbs...

I've already done that with my current res (not bay res). I sealed the original holes and drilled/tapped out larger ones with a small hole saw. Works great too. I have some pics of it somewhere.
I just hate risking cracking a new bay res doing the same thing. It looks like I'll have to, but this time using the same holes(somehow) depending on how close to the edge they are.

Yeah, the German reservoirs look nice. Expensive though. (SNT Systems)

Thanks---

Note that I did not intend any slight to those who use reservoirs, or their systems.

I also don't think you are alone in your desire, Despotes, but I do think you are in a minority...of course I could easily be wrong. ;)

But basically, it comes down to the market: if a supplier sees enough demand for a product, they will find a way to meet that demand and make some money.
Apparently, either they don't see enough demand yet, or they are developing something and just haven't released them yet.

hardware store, was 2$ a piece, just drill a hole (i think they may have actually been 1/2" threads) just big enough so it fits, teflon tape, then some plumbers goop and you are set... my next one shall be made out of a heineken

Thanks for all of your replies. Unfortunately none of the reservoirs listed have true 1/2" holes. 1/2" barbs yes, but not true 1/2" inlet/outlets.
I just ordered a dual bay res from Cooltechnica and will mod the holes to accept larger barbs.

Thanks--- :)

i would go with t-line but u could always make ur own res

i find it interesting that no one sells 1/2 ID res

didnt know that be4

but i would only get 1/2 ID res if i had to get a res

Back