• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Pump, Broken?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matttheniceguy

The pump on my aquarious 2 broke, so I ordered a Via Aqua 1300 from aquastealth. The shipping was terrable and expensive, but it is finally here. I connected everything up, made a T line system for it with 1/2" ID tubing to and from the pump, and filled it up. I bled the air out from the top of the system to ensure their was fluid in the pump. Turned the pump on, and it horrable. When it starts it sounds like gears grinding and popping, and it is increadably loud when it is running. It has a fairly high piched grinding sound which changes a lot as it runs, and it is so loud I can't even hear the rest of my system, which has 11 fans in it. I don't think the pump is pushing very much water either, as my temperatures climbed very quickly with it, until I just shut it down. I know there is no air in the pump or anything like that, is the pump just deffective?

I wanted to make sure these things aren't sudposed to sound like this before I try to get it replaced (which will probably be a nightmare)

you know, its posts like this that are what i'm talking about to everyone else to *not get a via pump*

but since you already got one, lets see,

1. are you *dead absolutely sure* that there's water in there?

2. take apart the pump and see if the impellor is still alright (might be shattered)

3. where did you get the pump from?

4. i'm assuming you're running the thing in-line, have you tried it submerged in just a bucket of water first?

4b. you did TRY the pump first before you integrated it into your system right?

5. maybe it can't deal with the flow restrictions of your aquarius kit, just maybe

try the pump in a bucket of water first

I do know that some pumps are supposed to make certain sounds for a certain amount of break in time, but the sounds you are describing dont seem to match up to anything ive read in posts, even if its supposed to for the first day or something, if its named aquastealth id expect more hehe, if all else fails I really like the Eheim and AquaXtreme (basically the swifty pump but black)

actually your 5th point is what first popped in my head, but then I was like.... nah prolly not heh so thanks for posting it for me, and listen to fafnir cause he has 5 stars and I only have 1

I am positive their was no air in the pump.

I opened it up, and the inpeller is just fine. Their might be a problem with the shart though. It sits on two rubber bushings on either end. If the shaft wern't riding in one of these bushings the pump would make the noises I am hearing.

It's hard to describe if you haven't looked inside one of these before, but the shaft has a big round magnet on it, and this magnet and shaft go in a hole with the coils around it. (it's just an electric engine)... if the shaft wern't properly in the bushings, the magnet would be smashing all over the inside of the thing when it is turned on.

I think I have this one figured out, now i just need to fgure out how to fix it...

toorude, its alright about them stars, whoever is right is right, and right doesn't have to come from experience or time or what have ya

feel free to add in anything you like,

everyone's comments are always welcome the way i see it

and matttheniceguy,

there is a difference between *loud* noises, and ***LOUD*** noises, if its really ***LOUD*** then look forward to a replacement pump, the thing won't last too long

but you do know that via pumps are supposed to be *loud* right?

there is a via pump mod that you could do, search for it here on the forums, involves a bit of epoxy and a file, but otherwise will make your pump quieter by a LOT

the impellor design on the via's are supposed to rattle a bit when they start, and the mod is supposed to take care of that, but if its actually beyond the shaft tolerances for the give/shake/yield or some kind of motor issue such as an imbalance or the shaft isn't straight or something, look forward to replacing your pump

p.s. have you seen the new csp-750 from dtekcustoms.com ? its 35 bucks and quiet and is as good as your via, and runs on 12V DC

and also, have you tried the pump submerged in a bucket of water or your bathtub or something?

and submerged under 1 foot of water after five minutes its still loud and flow still sucks?

you *should* go and try this out of all things

Boy matt, I sure hope you get the pump sorted.
I'm quite interested in the results of changing out the pump in the Aquarius system.

hey clocker2, why don't you try a CSP-750 from dtek? its only $35 and its also 12V DC, and with replaceable barbs, you don't have too much to lose

what matt's doing wrong besides he's not trying the pump before he's using it is that the via's dump quite a bit of heat into the loop, not quite what you'd get from the CSP which only dumps ~6 watts if even

you've got a small radiator just like him which won't appreciate the added heat (i'm willing to bet that the original aquarius pump is VERY efficent), which is maybe why he's experiencing the higher temps,

not good

since if them numbers come out right, the bigger via pumps dump as much heat as your undervolted cpu when idle in to the loop, won't help at all

and besides, whats wrong with your aquarius pump?

(besides the 1/4)

fafnir said:
hey clocker2, why don't you try a CSP-750 from dtek? its only $35 and its also 12V DC, and with replaceable barbs, you don't have too much to lose

what matt's doing wrong besides he's not trying the pump before he's using it is that the via's dump quite a bit of heat into the loop, not quite what you'd get from the CSP which only dumps ~6 watts if even

you've got a small radiator just like him which won't appreciate the added heat (i'm willing to bet that the original aquarius pump is VERY efficent), which is maybe why he's experiencing the higher temps,

I didn't see that Matt had reported ANY temps yet...doesn't sound like he's gotten that far.

Having recently learned that "More flow=better heat transfer, ALWAYS", it occured to me that the perfect practical application of this fact would be to simply swap out the pump and see what happened.
Matt has saved me the trouble, as he is doing just that on the same system as I have.
Granted, the larger pump will dump more heat into the system and the radiator may be substandard, but ALWAYS is always, so there should be an improvement...minimal as it may be.
Right?

ATM, there is nothing "wrong" with my Aquarius pump, but, like most of us, I'm always thinking about how to make things better.

clocker2 said:
I didn't see that Matt had reported ANY temps yet...doesn't sound like he's gotten that far.

Having recently learned that "More flow=better heat transfer, ALWAYS", it occured to me that the perfect practical application of this fact would be to simply swap out the pump and see what happened.
Matt has saved me the trouble, as he is doing just that on the same system as I have.
Granted, the larger pump will dump more heat into the system and the radiator may be substandard, but ALWAYS is always, so there should be an improvement...minimal as it may be.
Right?

ATM, there is nothing "wrong" with my Aquarius pump, but, like most of us, I'm always thinking about how to make things better.

more flow does equal better heat transfer, always, but if there's more heat to transfer, temps will reflect that.

greenman100 said:
more flow does equal better heat transfer, always, but if there's more heat to transfer, temps will reflect that.
Indeed, I have already granted that.
In this case, the pump swap adds 14 times the wattage(28w as opposed to 2w),but increases the flow by 15.5 times (370/gph v. 90/lph) so there would appear to be net gain .
Unless I am mistaken, temps should be lower.
Right?

haha fafnir no man I was being sarcastic, it was like what 4am when i posted that, it prolly didnt sound that way but I was just jokin around.

clocker2 said:
Indeed, I have already granted that.
In this case, the pump swap adds 14 times the wattage(28w as opposed to 2w),but increases the flow by 15.5 times (370/gph v. 90/lph) so there would appear to be net gain .
Unless I am mistaken, temps should be lower.
Right?

the relationship is non-linear, especially with respect to GPM vs flow restriction.

Wow, I went away for the weekend and this thread really took off.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

I took the pump apart and reassembled it making sure everything was together correctly. I then put it in the sink with about a foot of 1/2 tubing on it. And..... water everywhere... hmm... well I fixed the pump, it sure pushes water now....I then put the pump in the bathtub and tried it. It is much quieter than before and doesn't make the terrable crackling sound at startup.

I experimented with the flow rate by "restricting" the flow with my thumb. The amount of head this thing has is pretty impressive. As you restrict the flow it gets louder though, which I did expect. With no restriction it is "whisper quiet" but when the flow is totally blocked it makes a decent amount of noise. It is still less noise than the rest of my system makes so it should be ok.

I will post temps and that when I get the thing installed and running.

Clocker2, there are some things you can do with your aquarious for better temps. You may have already done some or all of these, but here is what I have done. Lapping the waterblock to 2000 grit gave a couple degree drop. Putting 2 80mm fans on the radiator, one pushing and one sucking, with ~2" long fan ducks gave about a 5-6 degree drop. I'll let you know how big if any improvment going from a tiny pump to a huge pump makes.

Also, I am replacing my aquarious 2's original pump because it broke. Infact it was my second aquarious 2 pump to crap out, as the first one I had was DOA. I am still going to RMA the original pump, I just figured since I am going to be making a 1/2" system sometime anyway, I may as well get the pump now.

I have the pump in and working. For the first 15 minutes or so it sounded like rocks in a blender, but it has clamed down now and is so quiet I can only tell if it is running if I put my head a few inches from it.

I don't think it likes the massive resistance of my aquarious system. I can see roughly what the flow is like by looking through one of my custom built 1/2" ID to 1/4" OD addapters, and the flow is just plain weak. It looks like it is even slower than the flow of the original aquarious pump. My temps suck too. With the original aquarious pump and my current overclock I was at ~40 degrees load, I am now at ~51 degrees :cry:

This pump pushes water like a garden hose with low restriction, but when you introduce it to ~4mm ID hosing, it just sucks.

As an added bonus, by computer is on my desk next to my main monitor. This monitor is now vibrating like mad and making it hard to read... oh well... I guess it will do until I get a new aquarious pump... and the pump can still be used for a real 1/2" system in the future....

Matt,

I had to move my PC about 1.5 feet from my monitor to clear up the interference from my via1300. Give that a try as well as running your monitor at the highest refresh rate it can achieve. Now that I have taken those two steps, my monitor only shows flicker in the bios and windows startup screens.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. It's nice to know how far I have to move the thing to get rid of the flicker.

Just curious, is there any way to sheild the pump to prevent the flicker? I don't remember much of my physics relating to this stuff, but isn't the flicker just caused by a fluctuating magnetic feild which is messing with the electrons in my CRT. If you totally encompass the magnetic feild generator with something conductive wont the feild cause electron movement across that conductive surface and prevent the feild from propogating outside if the surface?

I could be way off on this one, or maby the sheild needs to be 1" thick lead or something stupid for this to work, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Back