• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Large copper radiators?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PolyPill

Where is the best place to find large copper radiators? Online, or in other products?

I don't think there are any automotive copper radiators. I was thinking they might use them in race cars, but the automotive industry seems to be lacking in copper radiators. What gives? Wouldn't it be better at cooling = give them more speed?

I'm talking large, something like 31" x 10" x 3.5" with a nice 2.5" pipe running through it.

darthdana said:
Look at the price of copper, and you will see why car builders dont use them.

I said RACE, where they spend thousands of dollars to shave a hundredth of a second.

most race cars use aluminum .. or a combination of aluminum and composite materials for their radiators ...

better cooling doesn't = more speed ... to much cooling and the motor does not reach its optimum temp ... to little and it will overheat ...

some of the old car radiators were copper ... you might can find a repro company that still makes them from copper or brass / bronze ...

i have aluminum in both my cars and they cool plenty ... so no need to try to get a little bit more out of em.

Better cooler on your intake air does = more speed. More cooling on the engine doesn't, which is where that optimal run teperature comes in.

Some people put dry ice on their intakes to make it colder.

Anyways, I found a few sites that sell that kind of stuff, but they are for large industry. I don't think they'd sell to me :(

Doesn't copper cool better than aluminum?

I will probably never buy one, I was just thinking that a slightly smaller copper radiator would cool just as well as a larger aluminum one. Plus its all copper looking :p

how big do you need the radiator i bought a nice heater core from advance auto for 16bucks it is from a 1979 ford bronco it is big and copper

some models of cars especialy luxury cars use copper cores if that is what you mean. if you mean actual radiator like as in front of the engine block then you will only find them in special aplication vehicles

Back