• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a Reservoir and have question on placement of barbs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cytomax

Hello all im building a reservoir out of a tube of pvc and capping it on either end. Its going to sit upright with a cap under it touching the ground and a cap above it on the other end with the tube being vertical and i dont know if it matters where i place the barbs... does it matter if you put the barbs under the reservoir because i would think this causes back pressure for the inlet of the reservoir. Should they be spaced on opposite sides of the reservoir or right next to each other. Am i thinking to far into this or are these questions worth asking?
Thanks in Advance
Eddie

I wouldn't place them tooo close together, you want some mixing time in the tank - not just the warmer water being recirculated instantly...

As the reservoir will be mainly for separating out the air, I would think that placing the inlet higher than the outlet would be desirable.
After that, orientation ( same side/opposite side) would be merely a matter of convenience.

@DoctaZ,
A PVC tube won't be terribly effective as a radiator so water temp shouldn't vary significantly from top to bottom or side to side anyway.

I would place the pickup near the bottom but not at the very bottom and the return about 2/3 of the way up. If you get the return to close to the water level the returning water will splash around and make noise. Instead of a cap on the top use one of the threaded ends and use the big plug to seal it. It makes it easy to fill and let air escape.

let the pump feed off of the bottom, and let the res be filled through a position above the pump outlet. maybe an inch or two up from it.
That way the air will not get sucked ointo re-circulation.
As for which side to have the holes on, well thats up to you man.

(optional) If you want to help prevent cavitation, since your home-making your res, use a large diameter tube from res outlet to pump inlet. 5/8" or bigger is good.
That way your pump wont "choke". Or even better have the pump feed directly of the body of water in the res!!

not sure if im getting what your saying but usually you want the barbs to have a good bit of distance between them or even a wall in there

also air goes up so have the barb where water goes in above the barb where water flows out if possible

the pump as most have said should have the outlet at the lowest point and the input at close to the nearest point. do not putthem oposite though because the force of the input can still shoot bubbles directly into the outlet. ill post a pic in a min

Back