• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So Has Anyone Tried This Setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

THE JEW (RaVeN)

After reading everyone's wc setup, I realized that there was a type of pump nobody seemed to be using--drill pumps.

Pic for reference:

http://www.bullnet.co.uk/shops/live/drl3.jpg

It's a garden hose pump that one hooks up to a cordless drill. The specs are often rather impressive (100 ft. head and 660 gph). Hook it up to a electric motor (quieter than a drill) and away you go............or do you?

Seriously, is there any reason it would be adverse to use this type of drill? They seem to be the centrifugal type.......I think. Is this the reason one can't use 'em? Or has no just tried it out? I'm not worried about debris in the line (thus, I'm not worried about burning out the motor or breaking the impellor).

Explain to me, please, why using this would be bad. Otherwise, I just found my pump.

well with 100ft head im guessing the psi is sky high so theres one good reason, if you use a heatercore you will blow that sucker up lol.

100 ft of head would blow up your waterblocks...your heatercore...your computer case...your house. Ok, maybe not your house nor the case but it's just too much. There was another thread going on about how big of a pump is worth it, etc.

From a purely practical standpoint I would think that the biggest drawback is the drill itself.

No drill that I know of is rated for continuous duty and they are noisy to boot.

edit:
Oops, just noticed that you have already disposed of the drill.
Assuming that you already have an electric motor available and the means to cobble the unit together, what advantage do you see using a pump like this?

Last edited:
Dont know the exact specifics of that one, they sell something similar here, rated at 75ft head at 3000 rpm... dont know how much fluid it it pumps tho.. mainly used for peolpe to move fluids from barrels to "other things" as gas in to tanks, disel in to trucks, and so on.. the only "bad" thing... it dosent "suck" to good, until the fluid hits the head of the pump... like air is to thin or something... Takes more time to get the air out of the hose, then to fill a 5 galon gasoline refill tank.

Might be hard to find a motor to pull it 24/7, and even then, that sucker prolly will generate alot of heat. the good thing is offcourse that there wont be to much heat transfered to the water...

Best of luck.
B!

Yeah, I thought about the psi being too high, but I figured I'd just find a slow, quiet motor. Whether that would allow the gph to be high enough, I dunno. I'm making a "dual-case" case so the wc stuff goes behind the mobo/tray in its own comp. I figure the air flow thru there would be good enough to keep the motor/secondary case cool.

Gonna hafta think about this one.

Most drills use a gear reduction off the motor. I don't know if a straight motor would turn that pump. You might have to gear down the motor. I also think that setup would be rather noisy. You can give it a shot, just don't get your hopes up.

the psi wont be a problem if your system is freeflowing enough.

The pump looks like a vane or gear pump, If someone knows of a really good motor and where to find one of these, I might be up for the challenge as I can fabricate the parts needed.

Jon

JFettig, look in the garden section of a ACE Hardware or OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) for the pump thing he's got, its either next to a syphon pump running off pure water from a garden hose or the section with hose extensions or the section that sells spidgets

i don't think the motor is the problem, its that the thing he's showing isn't rated for contiunous duty either, and the seals are not what any of you are thinking about, but however the thing is cheap so its worth a try

and from every time when i actually tried the thing he's got (cheaper version, no barbs, plastic) i don't remember 100ft of head at 660gph, i just don't

Used with a variable speed motor, THIS pump would make a nice WC setup pump I think, certainly looks of much higher quality to me. Making a union between it and a motor would not be very hard for anyone with the proper tools. With a strong pump like one of these you could move your cooling setup to a cooler( ie. basement) location of your house and pipe it to your computer, would give you lower temps + the benefit of having little/no noise :D

yeah, I was thinking about it and I think they probably arent that great of quality, and if I was to use something like it, I would want to fabricate mostly all of it myself because of that reason.

Jon

I've got one, actually. Used it for filling/draining my waterbed.

You don't want this one in a computer cooling system. The impeller is made of flexible black rubber, and is slightly larger than the chamber it's in, thus the terrific head heights. Problem is that it self destructs over time, and the seals are just o-rings on the shaft...and they leak.
Mine leaks after just three uses.
*Because the impeller fits so tightly into the housing, it takes some force to turn it. Mine doesn't turn very easily by hand.

If you want to watercool for a single lan party, then great. If you want it to run for more than a day or two, keep looking. :(

Last edited:
nah, Im gonna skip it because they are most likely crappy quality and it might not be worth the work of making a new one because it will take a higher power motor.

Jon

i actually was thinking of one of these...with a simple gear ratio setup a low torque high speed small motor would do the trick rather nicely..then the problem is finsing a quiet high speed weak motor.

Como said:
i actually was thinking of one of these...with a simple gear ratio setup a low torque high speed small motor would do the trick rather nicely..then the problem is finsing a quiet high speed weak motor.

and a quiet gearbox

tricknasty: <50psi, probably about 20

and wat to bring a thread back from the dead

Back