• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first time w/cing need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vince1990uk

Registered
In a few months I'm going to build my first PC and would like it too be water-cooled.

- AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (socket 939)
- Asus A8V-Deluxe + WiFi-g
- Patriot 1GB DC PC3700EL (should I get a diff. brand? - only £148.05 for 2x 512MB seems a little too cheap :-/ )
- Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160gb Serial ATA150 (8MB cache)
- Connect 3D Radeon X800XT Platinum 256MB AGP DDR DVI VIVO
- TerraTec DMX 6Fire

What water-cooling kit (or set of components) would you recomend and what case to mount them in (I want an easy installation and good looks)?

Is the "Asetek WaterChill Antarctica KT 12A-L30" any good?

Thanks for any help/advice. :D

Oh, I can spend about £230 on the water-cooling and no more than £120 on a case.

Last edited:
The Asetek kits reveiw very well and are high-quality. If they include the type of compnents you want they're good. If, however, you want specific high-performance parts you should take the extra time and put together your own kit.

I have the D-tek flowmaster xt w/L30 and WW and I love it. They include EVERY thing you need to get started (pump, rad, tubing, WB, clambs, additive, mounting hardware, fan, and shroud.) I would recommend getting a fan controller and a second fan + shroud to go along with the kit though.

::edit:: for a case, I'd go with any full-tower. Just remember, to get good performance and good looks, you're going to need to mod your case.

thorilan said:
read the stickies

Have done, thanks they were very helpful. :clap:

Cyrix_2k said:
::edit:: for a case, I'd go with any full-tower. Just remember, to get good performance and good looks, you're going to need to mod your case.

Thanks, I'll look into it... Any fan speed controller in particular?

RedViper said:
If, however, you want specific high-performance parts you should take the extra time and put together your own kit.

I've manged to put together the following setup, would you change anything?

-CPU Waterblock: D-Tek LRWW AMD Aluminium Top/D-Tek A64 Adapter Bracket
-Radiator: ThermoChill HE120.2
-Fans: 4x DELTA 120mm AFB1212VHE
-Reservoir: DangerDen Clear Reservoir
-Tubing: 1/2" ID DangerDen ClearFlex 60 Tubing (7ft.)
-Pump: DangerDen DD12V-D4

What coolant/addative would you recomend though?

tehnull said:
Asetek kits are the best kits for a budget water cooler that doesn't want to do a lot of mods.

I don't mind a little bit of modding... :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone who's helped me out!!! :D :D :D

Last edited:
VERY nice kit selection, Vince. As far as coolant, I can suggest what I'm using. My loop holds a bit more than half a gallon of coolant. Start with steam-distilled, UV treated water (UV treated may take some looking). I added 3-ounces of Redline water wetter and about 6ml of algacide. I'm watching things closely and have a Ph of 7.5.

Vince1990uk said:
-CPU Waterblock: D-Tek LRWW AMD Aluminium Top/D-Tek A64 Adapter Bracket
-Radiator: ThermoChill HE120.2
-Fans: 4x DELTA 120mm AFB1212VHE
-Reservoir: DangerDen Clear Reservoir
-Tubing: 1/2" ID DangerDen ClearFlex 60 Tubing (7ft.)
-Pump: DangerDen DD12V-D4
-WW is an excellent choice
-For the rad I would recommend a heatercore (Dtek ProCore). Not only because it is cheaper but it performs on par or better than the rad you selected.
-get the less noisy evercools (cheaper also)
-Instead of the res just use a T-line (less flow-killing, less $$) ;)
-get 10 ft of tubing (too much never hurt anyone)
-I have no experience with that pump you selected. But I have heard it is loud. Do some more research on it. Whatever you do, I suggest you stay away from the C-systems single. In series two CSPs are great but for that money, just get a MCP600 (AquaXtreme)

just my two... and some extra cents..

SenC

Don’t be ashamed to make your radiator decision based on aesthetics. If you want something that looks nice in your case, and don’t mind spending more, go for it. Evercool fans are okay, but don’t buy one expecting near silence. My Panaflo 120s are much quieter. As for res or T-line, try to view the situation in the same way as your rad. Both have pros and cons, and with an adequate pump 30-10gph loose isn’t going to hurt your overall performance. I’m getting 32c idle and 34c load with my dual 5 ¼ bay res at a comfortable room ambient.

I have a D4. It has a low buzz that I can’t hear over my fans and is nothing compared to the HSF I replaced which was 57db.

Many people mod systems purely for looks.

While I believe that a well-done T-Line is both more efficient AND easier than a reservoir, if you like the look then get one, by all means. :)

I use both Evercool fans and Panaflos (as well as others) and either are a good choice:
the 120x38mm Panas I have are louder than my Evercools at 12volt, but they seem to be about the same at 7 volts- Panaflos still moving more air though.

Rheobus: I have two of the Sunbeam units- and may get more as I have more systems that could use them. Great units and a very good price. ;)

As far as radiators: the classic Chevette heatercore can not be beat for price/performance...at least for those of us in the US. I have heard good things about Thermochills though, although since my rads tend to be hidden I stick to auto heater cores for the most part.

I didn't add water to my system with the idea of JUST looks. It performs better on water as well. That my system looks nice is a choice, and a perfectly reasonable one at that. As with most forums that have water-cooling sections there is a strong undercurrent from earlier days. When the ONLY viable option was to use the products that happened to meet their requirements. That time is fading. As performance cooling becomes more mainstream, thus creating a market to be exploited, water-cooling FRU's, designed for computers, WILL become the norm. Yes, these products will cost more. But TBH, for some of us, that isn't an issue.

Performance: The BIX 2 dissipates 920watts per hour. That's more than enough for all but the most extreme overclocking enthusiast. Those who want more capacity tend to gravitate towards more heroic measures anyway. Moreover, it seems, based on the questions asked in places like this, new people are migrating to water for the inherent quietness it offers and couldn't care less about overclocking. So you see, just saying a core "works better" isn't the entire story.

Evercool v. Panaflo: Panaflo noisier? Nope, not by me. I've owned 3 Evercools. One failed the day after going into service and had to be replaced. The Evercool, being a single-bearing fan, generates an audible "wobbling" noise compared to my Panaflo's soft "whir." I'll take the "whir" of a quality wave-bearing fan any day, but that's just me. ;)

In a nutshell, there is no "conventional wisdom" present in this, or any other hobby. There should be room for numerous approaches to an end, and without low-level derision that seems to materialize when long-term enthusiasts mix with newer people and advancing technology.

RedViper said:
In a nutshell, there is no "conventional wisdom" present in this, or any other hobby. There should be room for numerous approaches to an end, and without low-level derision that seems to materialize when long-term enthusiasts mix with newer people and advancing technology.

That's one of the things I have always liked best about these forums:
there is very little of that derision in most of the forum sections....
Some of the video card folks get a bit crazy now and then, and the cpu area can get crowded with it too. ;)

Methods and goals for watercooling vary as widely as the parts themselves- none is better or worse, just different.

Finding the best solution for each of us as individuals takes some time and effort...sometimes that is just to clearly establish what we want to achieve with the system.

BTW- I get the loud Panaflos (they are available in 3 versions) as they have the highest max airflow; normally they run at 7 volts for peace and quiet, but they can run at 5volts for silence or 12 volts for moving pretty tremendous amounts of air. These are not quiet fans. ;)
For a system more oriented towards low-noise, "L" series or even the "M" series would be a better choice, I think, putting out more airflow at a given lower volume.
But they don't achieve the high flow I want when beating my system up on hot days. :D

rogerdugans said:
BTW- I get the loud Panaflos (they are available in 3 versions) as they have the highest max airflow; normally they run at 7 volts for peace and quiet, but they can run at 5volts for silence or 12 volts for moving pretty tremendous amounts of air. These are not quiet fans. ;)
For a system more oriented towards low-noise, "L" series or even the "M" series would be a better choice, I think, putting out more airflow at a given lower volume.
But they don't achieve the high flow I want when beating my system up on hot days. :D

This is another realm of discussion entirely and seems to be based on the ear of the listener. Until I went water it was all overkill for me. No under-volting, just brute force. Compared, it seems, to most people I seem to have a fairly high tolerance for computer noise. It may be deafness from 18-years as a mainframe operator. :(

When stacked up next to fans I've had before, my 8 (6x80mm, 2x120mm) Panaflo's are toys. Collectively, they give off a harmonic that I actually find soothing. Anyway, I guess this situation exemplifies what I was saying before. :thup:

For a high performance setup I'd use the following parts:
WB: D-tek WW
Rad: Fedco 2-342
Fans: 4x Evercool aluminums
Fan controller: Sunbeam Rheobus
Shrouds: 2x custom
Pump: Swiftech MCP600 rev.2
Tubing: 10ft Clearflex 60
Fill: T-line

Explanation: The 2-342 heatercore is able to handle two 120mm fans per side allowing a good amount of surface area for air to remove heat from. It is also single-pass so it won't add a lot of water-resistance in a high-flow setup. The WW outperforms both the TDX and RBX and the Swifty blocks and so I favor it (plus it's a classic). The fans I have good luck with as my evercools run dead silent at ~5-6volts. I have selected the Sunbeam Rheobus because it's a nice heavy duty unit (it has rather large heatsinks) and does its job well. It's also rated at 20w per channel, whereas most 120mm fans are rated at aprox. 6w, so you can connect multiple fans/lights to one channel. The pump is another nice unit that was designed by an ex-Iwaki enginear, so you know you're getting a quality pump. It features plenty of head so it can keep the WW supplied with plenty of water and it runs on 12v DC, so no more messing with that relay. The T-line's there because it won't leak, and it won't add to much water resistance to the loop either. Sometimes the simplest things are best.

Inside a sunbeam rheobus:

Attachments

• IM003679.JPG
    IM003679.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
RedViper said:
Start with steam-distilled, UV treated water (UV treated may take some looking). I added 3-ounces of Redline water wetter and about 6ml of algacide. I'm watching things closely and have a Ph of 7.5.

I'll look around and see what I can find. Thanks.

Senater_Cache said:
-For the rad I would recommend a heatercore (Dtek ProCore). Not only because it is cheaper but it performs on par or better than the rad you selected.

I can't find any UK suplliers for it :cry:, (I live in England). I have a found a generic heatcore though - The HeaterCore Dual 2x120mm 1/2” £38.76

RedViper said:
Don’t be ashamed to make your radiator decision based on aesthetics. As for res or T-line, try to view the situation in the same way as your rad. Both have pros and cons, and with an adequate pump 30-10gph loose isn’t going to hurt your overall performance.

I'm haven't (yet) based any component choices on aesthetics and I think I'll go for a T-Line.

Cyrix_2k said:
WB: D-tek WW
Rad: Fedco 2-342
Fans: 4x Evercool aluminums
Fan controller: Sunbeam Rheobus
Shrouds: 2x custom
Pump: Swiftech MCP600 rev.2
Tubing: 10ft Clearflex 60
Fill: T-line

WB: D-tek WW - YES
Rad: Fedco 2-342 - MAYBE :confused: (can't find UK supplier, is Dtek ProCore cheaper?)
Fans: 4x Evercool aluminums - :confused: I think I'll stick with the 4x DELTA 120mm (anything awful about these fans?)
Fan controller: Sunbeam Rheobus - YES
Pump: Swiftech MCP600-02 - MABY :confused: (How is a Asetek WaterChill Hydor L30 220V, it's £26 cheaper!)
Tubing: 10ft Clearflex 60 - YES
Fill: T-line -YES

BTW, I'm not bothered about noise.

So you found a generic core that will fit 2x 120mm's per side? Use that then.

I don't know how the delta's sound... So I can't give any advice on them.

Get the MCP600. It will kick the L30's *** (more head), plus it'll prob be more reliable. Anyway, while you may not be bothered by noise, wouldn't it be nice to have a quiet rig that would outperform your noisy one?

Back