• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing algae

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ctty

I have got some white hard algae on my Asetek waterblocks(normal kit with L20) and all. Problem is, I tried to use tissue paper to remove the algae from my waterblock, but the algae could not be scrapped away no matter what I used. What solution can be used to remove the algae without damaging my components? Also, the materials used on my waterblocks are not resistant to alcohol. :clap:

Not knowing what material the waterblocks are made of, im just thinking here, copper corosion looks black/green... alge's should come of, if its in "unreachable places" weaker acids might help.

best of luck.
B!

The algae(or what I think it is) is all over the tubes and makes the water milky.

-=Mr_B=- said:
Not knowing what material the waterblocks are made of, im just thinking here, copper corosion looks black/green... alge's should come of, if its in "unreachable places" weaker acids might help.

best of luck.
B!
Thx, the blocks are 100% copper with a clear top that will be damaged by alcohol.

milky water.. you dident use destiled water, and water wetter i guess ? taking the system apart and pulling a rag or a whisker (bottle cleaner?) through the tubes might do it, the copper... if the copper pices refuse to be cleaned and your sure its alge's, id try acids.. carefull tho....
B!

Milky water and green deposits in the waterblock could very well indicate that it is a form off corrosion, Milky water is a result of the reaction betwean copper and aluminium. But as stated it could be algae aswell. The only way to be sure is to open the block and see what it is, or just run some algae killer that you find in the aquariumshops, and then drain your system and refill it with a new watermix and algae killer, to prevent futher growth.

Normally to flush a water cooling system you'd want to use a lysol/pinesol and water mixture but from the sounds of it some chemical is clouding up your tubing and top :( there isn't much you can do imo.

Back