• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware ALX Watercooling - PICTURES

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
standard koolance system:

two CPU-300-H06 waterblocks, facing each other; xeon adapters equipped

cpu-300-h06_02.jpg

cpu-300-h06_03.jpg

two GPU-180-L06 waterblocks on a pair of ATI X600's

gpu-180-l06_02.jpg

gpu-180-l06_03.jpg

the radiator from the exos:

ccs-p15_02.jpg

and the standard blue koolance coolant:

com-m33_02.jpg

com-m33_03.jpg

all that for USD 5000

so much for the hose routing yes?

_

HAHAHA! I wonder who Alienware thinks is stupid enough to pay 5K for that retarded setup. You can get the same koolance watercooling setup for like $300. And I know for damn sure the rest of the components in that pc dont cost anywhere near $4700. Maybe 2500, maybe.

Also the WIDTH on that case with that shell makes me want to cry. Thats almost as wide as two normal cases sitting next to each other.

Spanko said:
HAHAHA! I wonder who Alienware thinks is stupid enough to pay 5K for that retarded setup. You can get the same koolance watercooling setup for like $300. And I know for damn sure the rest of the components in that pc dont cost anywhere near $4700. Maybe 2500, maybe.
Where are you going to get the dual processor board that supports the twin video card setup?
I believe that is proprietary Alienware kit.

For now it might be, but in a few months everyones gonna be making those. And Im pretty damn sure the board isnt worth $2000!

okay.. what use is the dual video card right now?????? theres already the X800 and the 6800 what more do you need lmao

one video card renders the top half of the screen the other renders the bottom part - i think i saw at E3 that it was about a 40-50% increase in performance.

but still... no game needs that many fps as of now..
the kink between the 2 cards is a big restriction right there.
ps. thats an enermax psu in there.

doom3 is still running like crap on a 6800 :/ , it will be moments before Unreal 3 engine to take over and video cards need a bigger leap even over x800 and 6800. It'll be a year and there will need to be a new line of vid cards, or two lower budget cards run in synch.

I wouldn't buy it if I won the lottery.

I'm strictly a DIY guy. That cooling is crap anyways. With a case that big, I want to see 1/2 hoses and real waterblocks. Plus I want overclocking headroom, and that cooling offers none really.

Spanko said:
Such a statement shows either a willful disregard for how a business HAS to operate or total ignorance of same.
Unlike you, Alienware ( and any other company) has to pay for:
-employee labor/benefits
-R&D
-ALL of the software
-normal business expenses and taxes
And on top of that, they expect to make a profit.

So what if you could build a comparable machine for less ( which in this case I don't think you could)?
Try building a thousand of them and then marketing them for the $2500 you consider to be a reasonable price.

Hope you enjoy living in a cardboard box.

clocker2 said:
Such a statement shows either a willful disregard for how a business HAS to operate or total ignorance of same.
Unlike you, Alienware ( and any other company) has to pay for:
-employee labor/benefits
-R&D
-ALL of the software
-normal business expenses and taxes
And on top of that, they expect to make a profit.

So what if you could build a comparable machine for less ( which in this case I don't think you could)?
Try building a thousand of them and then marketing them for the $2500 you consider to be a reasonable price.

Hope you enjoy living in a cardboard box.

:thup: All very true.

Yeah when I first saw some of the pics from the press release I thought those blocks looked like koolance ones. Only reason I would have got one was for the video array but now that nVidia has brought back SLI I am much relieved. Hope to have a WC'ed and SLI'ed system by xmas. Figure if I save about $300 a month I can do it.

Hmmmm, I wonder what the reason for going with the koolance system was. IMO, they could have gotten a much superior watercooling system by designing a custom one, especially since they are loading the heat from 2 CPUs AND 2 GPUs into that koolance...
Anyone have any numbers as to the temps that that system gets at load? And I hope that the dual GPU motherboards become more mainstream at some point, but as of right now I believe it's proprietary Iwill technology.

One nice thing about the Alienware is unlike the Nvidia SLI you can put any 2 video cards in that rig as long as they are the same. 2 X X800 XT's or whatever.

I'm surprised that no one ask this but what kind of pump do they have stashed in the top of the case? It doesn't seem to fit the normal small pump submerged in reservoir setup that Koolance cases has.

ahh, finally someone asks "THE QUESTION"

really, i don't know

but an educated guess would be that since they used every *other* componet from their exos, they would also be likely to use the pump from the thing also:

com-ent_02.jpg

a koolance setup is actually not bad at all, there are better things, much better sometimes, but the koolance does put record performance into a 1/4 system and also has on average has much lower maintainence than anything else so far

i bought one of the first exos systems when it first came out and it took a 2500+ barton and a nf7-s to 2500mhz, quite high for the time, took 2.2v to make it stable, and a load of the high 50's, not bad at all if you ask me

every one knocks koolance but they are all about no hassle water cooling with reliability. of course you can do better by buying part by part but its usually more maintanence and you don't know how each part will handle overtime.

Back