• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pump relays, whats the difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ares350

Criticool PowerPlant

vs

Pump Relay Switch Kit

both seen here
http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Pumps/Pump_acces.asp

one clearly takes up a PCI slot, but is it worth the extra 10$. their descriptions confuse me. simply put, I dont want to drill or cut holes in the case to feed the power line through, so does the PCI card get around that problem? Id like to close my computer case...

You will need a hole the size of the ID of the silver bracket if you want to mount the replay switch. If you don't want to do any drilling, modding, then I would get the powerplant. You also get a few more features with the powerplant and that's why they charge more for it.

I've got a Powerplant II, and it works just fine.

I've only had one problem with it; the internal connections for your pump cord are those little screw-in brackets, where you insert the bare wire end, and clamp down the screws to hold the wire (I don't know the real name). The problem is that they do a pathetic job of holding the cables, I have had pump cord wires fall out several times, resulting in the pump not starting with the computer, because of no electrical connection to the relay. A bit of hot glue fixed this, but it was scary turning my machine on, and noticing my GPU go up to 50C a minute later.

If you get one of these, check the connections carefully, it would suck to have the same thing happen.

felinusz said:
I've got a Powerplant II, and it works just fine.

I've only had one problem with it; the internal connections for your pump cord are those little screw-in brackets, where you insert the bare wire end, and clamp down the screws to hold the wire (I don't know the real name). The problem is that they do a pathetic job of holding the cables, I have had pump cord wires fall out several times, resulting in the pump not starting with the computer, because of no electrical connection to the relay. A bit of hot glue fixed this, but it was scary turning my machine on, and noticing my GPU go up to 50C a minute later.

If you get one of these, check the connections carefully, it would suck to have the same thing happen.

My GPU has a nice "feature" of not turning on the fan til there's a high load on the GPU. So of course, when I'm just web browsing, the GPU slowly climbs to 50+C without the fan ever turning on and I didn't even notice til a year later...hence, I'm waiting around til I see a cheap GPU block. :cool:
Edit: Did a test, it was 57C. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
well if that looks like a problem Ill just hit it with some solder, itll hold forever.

Back