• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to mount a BIX2 at the top of a Dragon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CAPiTA

I'm stumped. :confused: Does anyone have a link on how to? I searched but I came up with nothing. Do you think super glue for metal would work? It would save me the hassel of drilling, but getting it off would be something else...

Drill holes and use either threaded rod or a bolts.

It's about the only option tbh.

Like sandman said, get some 3mm threaded bar and bolt the thing in.

ukdan, although its more practical to just drill and mount, I have friends that have used epoxy on flat head screws then mounted the fans and such to it and taped it all together to get a firm hold, then after the epoxy sets the screws will forever be one with your case, cept no screw holes its actually kinda neat.

For the Chevette core I mounted in the top of my case, I used a Hole saw to cut the 120mm hole in the case ceiling, and drilled mounting holes with a drill press, after measuring very carefully.

One thing to remember, is that the BIX radiators have self-tapping holes - if you use large screws, the radiator will be difficult to remove and re-mount elsewhere in a clean fashion.

Auto shops have plastic thinges for attaching fans and oil/tranny coolers onto rads. Its a plastic piece with a flat head and a tail like a zip tie. That slips into another flat head and locks. Easy to use and cheap, but i dont think you can reuse them.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the bolts. I might even consider the epoxy suggestion.

EDIT # 2: Or would I be better off with this?
http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Radiators/heatercore.asp (double)

Does anyone know the performance on this rad. From the looks of it, it seem pretty good. Way cheaper than the BIX2, 35 bucks. But as long as it has temps within 2-3 celcius of the BIX2, then all is good.

*old stuff below*

Man, this is really a thinker. As you can see in the pic, the general idea is to have the rad up at the top like that, covered with a large grill. I'm just trying to figure out how the mounting will work. I'm guessing the bolts will go though the case roof, the fan holes and then the radiator holes. The only problem with this is that I don't think the mounting holes go that far into the rad, so how would I bolt it? But since the rad holes are self-tapering, I could just use a long screw right? The head of the screw would be at the top, and the base would be screwed into the self-tapering holes.

my.php

My final measure would be to mount it at the front. I don't like the idea of cutting out the front but as a last resort I would do it.

Anyway, does my idea make any sense?

Last edited:
It'd be a lot easier to mount the fans between the shroud and the case. That way, you can mount the rad using conventional fan screws down through the top into the fans. Also, it'd keep mounting separate between the shroud/fans and case.

Last edited:
Excellent, I think I'm going to go with the heatercore. The price is just too high for the BIX2.

toorude said:
ukdan, although its more practical to just drill and mount, I have friends that have used epoxy on flat head screws then mounted the fans and such to it and taped it all together to get a firm hold, then after the epoxy sets the screws will forever be one with your case, cept no screw holes its actually kinda neat.

I personaly couldnt trust it, if the epoxy gave way and the core came crashing down on my vid card (or any thing else) i would be extremely p!@@#d off.

Back