• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump Relay: Yes or no.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DO you use a Pump Relay in your Water Cooled Computer?

• Yes

Votes: 37 33.9%
  • No

Votes: 72 66.1%

• Total voters

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Sandman001 requested a poll to see how many people use pump relays in their water cooled systems.

Pretty simple poll, but I would ask for comments as well as votes as to why you chose to use or not use a relay.

Enjoy!

Yes
No
No
No.

My first system was a Swiftech kit and came with a relay- the relay is still in use in my main system today.
Two of my other systems have the pumps plugged directly into te power strips the computers are plugged into: since they run 24/7, I don't really see the need for a relay.
My LAN rig doesn't really have room for much in the cae- mATX system- so instead of a relay I wired the pump into the power supply: plug in the psu and the pump is on. :)

I do have another relay around somewhere, and when I get around to building my next modded system I may use it, just because I have it. ;)

yes, 3 buck relay and some solder is well worth it. Pushing the button about 700 times a year is enough work as it is!! i might get calluses!! *sobs*

yep for me. got one in both rigs. keeps me sane 'cause I don't trust my daughter or wife on the pcs to turn the pumps on. also, I don't want the extra electricity bill 'cause I turn the pcs off at nite

SewerBeing said:
woohoo first vote *does the first vote dance* I dont have one, I dont want to spend the money, my bios turns my comp off if it overheats because I forgot to turn the pump on, no harm done. So I think its a waste of money

Same here, turned my rig on but forget the pump. Went to get some coffee, got back, screen was black. So I was like, WTF!?!? But indeed, no harm done so... :burn:

Yes, I try to protect myself against idiotic acts by myself. I don't end up really using it much, since the computer is on 24/7, but I like knowing that I can't turn it on without the pump also going on.

I used to use a relay from RadioShack. In the end I just ended up running the pump 24/7, and not the rest of the system necessarily. AFAIK, aquarium pumps aren't designed to be shut off anyways.

Using a custom made relay with a by-pass switch (for filling/bleeding or 24/24 operation)

Relay price: about 1€ (1)
Other components price: free (2)
Knowing that my pump will always be on when my PC is turned on: priceless..

(1) or less, IIRC it was 70 cents
(2) scavenged from dead PSUs and so on - includes free wheel diodes, resistors...

I have two relays in my system, one for my Iwaki 6Z Pump, and one for my 24V PSU.

A big 'Yes' vote from me, if you don't want to leave your computer on 24/7 (electricity consumption, and the amount of heat it produces being the main reasons for me), and you use an AC pump, then a relay is an invaluable piece of gear.

Nope, No point as the pump is wired directly to the psu plug. If the pumps off so is the pc. Besideds its on 24/7 anyway;)

FOLD ON!!

slater..

not yet, but I was planning on getting a criticool pci slot one purely for the fact that I will be able to close the side of my case again (can't do it now since wire is running out. If I can avoid the spending though, I would love it. How would you go about wiring up the pump to the 120AC of the psu?

I have a Criticool II. I also have a Mag #3. The Mag 3 happened to die during testing. If I had already cut the cord on my pump to hook it up to my relay...well, I doubt Danner would be as eager to warranty my pump.

So I bought the CPS-750 (12v pump for those that may not know) and now don't need a relay, period.

I would vote yes for the relay, but add; don't assume your pump isn't defective. Test it before you modify it.

Back