• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is peltier so expensive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hellion

I see Peltier here and there, it looks like an Awsome cooling solution but....Why is it so expensive? I dont see the reason for the huge prices, please explain to shed some light on the subjest. thanx.

Nothing spectacular about the production or so..just plain economics.

Demand by far exceeds supply.

If they were 20$ a piece, i'd already be having 3 of them, but i don't, because they are so expensive. Though still, people buy them. That way, it's much more profitable for the industry to make a few of them and sell them expensive, then to make alot and sell them cheap.

Yah but still. Even if they brought it down a little. i mean ive seen them for $400. if it was a little bit lower than now than they would apeal to more people, an still not lose too much money. in fact, they might even make more of a profit, by skimming 50 or so dollars off and they would get that much more back, then some. ah well, its a pointless argument because there is nothing we can do.

Dude, do a search on ebay for the seller thermalenterprises. They sells 350 watt peltiers for 20 bucks..i don't think that's really expensive IMHO

lucas81 said:
Dude, do a search on ebay for the seller thermalenterprises. They sells 350 watt peltiers for 20 bucks..i don't think that's really expensive IMHO

Well, that would be good. If one producer starts selling them cheap, all the rest can do is go with em to keep their marketshare :)

Well there is an groupbuy, on inkoopacties.nl for peltiers. I noticed you are dutch too, so, if you really want one, you can check there. But ia is about to end if i remember correctly so...but the highest wattage they have there is euhm....200 something watt.

Hellion said:
Yah but still. Even if they brought it down a little. i mean ive seen them for $400. if it was a little bit lower than now than they would apeal to more people, an still not lose too much money. in fact, they might even make more of a profit, by skimming 50 or so dollars off and they would get that much more back, then some. ah well, its a pointless argument because there is nothing we can do.

$400? *cough*cough*rippoff*coug*cough*

The real price issue that arises with pelts is powering them. A high quality bench supply will run you at least $80USD or so, and you need one per pelt most of the time.

Exactly what is a pelt, I know what they do, what temps they might get and I've seen guides on them but whats inside that makes it transfer the heat from the cold side to the hot side?

i've never seen a pelt sell for more than 50 dollars... most places sell 80W ones for $25 and 226W for $38... the power supply... well now, that's a different topic all together... but wouldn't a cheesy generic PS work? i mean you really don't need 12V @ 20A for a 226W at a 3% tolerance do you?

ketchup318 said:
i've never seen a pelt sell for more than 50 dollars... most places sell 80W ones for $25 and 226W for $38... the power supply... well now, that's a different topic all together... but wouldn't a cheesy generic PS work? i mean you really don't need 12V @ 20A for a 226W at a 3% tolerance do you?

I guess i should specify more, i meant ALL pieces that make it work, not just the pelt itself. sorry

ketchup318 said:

Actually 20 amps is about what a 226 draws at 12v, and most cheesy generic supplies don't live up to their specs. You're right that you don't need any fancy low ripple supply, but you do need a hoss. You could build your own, but I wasted plenty of money trying to build one myself, and ended up buying one.

i've seen some 226watt pelts for about 35. but it gets you to about the same if not lower temps than a phase change system for substatially less so i wouldn't complain.

Back