• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mounting res on top of case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaos_Being

I'm starting to plan a mod I want to do to my case, and I'll be switching to watercooling as well. I want to mount my res on top back part of my case, with the rest of the cooling components (pump, radiator, tubing) inside the case. This would mostly be for appearance- if it works out, it would look pretty good with the ideas I have for my mod :)

The only thing I am wondering is if there are any cons to mounting the res that way- I am thinking no, but I'm a watercooling noob so I"d rather be sure :D

It's good placement for a res gravity-wise. it allows all the bubbles to go to the top and get released. However - I'd be concerned about someone knocking into it. But if you're careful I'd say it's a fine idea.

it allows all the bubbles to go to the top and get released

That's pretty much what I thought :) And if my idea works, it will look really cool...

As for it getting knocked over, I plan on having some little tabs holding the res in place, so that shouldn't be an issue. That and my case is in a spot where no one could bump into it anyways.

I wouldn't worry. I mounted mine up top and didn't have any problems. I was afraid the water would evacuate from the core (because of gravity) once I turned the pump off but it didn't on mine.

Back