• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water type

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mR|bUNgLe

My original plan was to use Swiftechs HydrX, but after hearing how simple water and anti freeze is better, I think Im gonna go that route.
As I understand it de-ionized=bad, tap water=bad, distilled=good, boiled water=?
but what about name brand bottled water that you can get any were, you know the kind that says natural spring on it.
are these any good?
does it just depend on whats in it? ex) fluorides and such
what should you stay away from?

Get distilled water, it is cheaper than spring water. It is less than $1 a gallon at most supermarkets and discount stores. I get mine from Walmart or Gaint Eagle. Spring water can have minerals and chemicals that can cause problems.

Yeh use Distilled if you can get it which should be easy in USA, but if you happen to be in UK then you'll have to settle for De-Ionised

I used distilled water (it was distilled from a drycleaners shop I think). After 4 days my tubes almost filled with a white powder (i put the chemicals for the bacteria etc...etc... in). I used de-ionized water (with the same chemicals as before) and 2 years later there is a very slight discolouring of the water (it needs changing though cuz the waterblocks have a thin layer of algae on them).

gracias for the replys
I figured distilled the way to go
I live in Can to so theres no probs finding it

Last question...
Now I've seen all the lists of addatives
but has anyone actualy tested them all ?
which is the better wetter/anticorrosive? and not nessasrily UV reactive, but thats a plus. Im mean 2 degrees better is still 2 degrees better :)

and I cat seem to remeber but is antifreeze a biocide?
if it isnt whats a good house hold prod that takes care of the alg with no harmfull side effects?

Water wetter will eventually discolor your tubing, among other things. I used some Zerex in my system, it left a white dustlike coating on the inside of my tubes and blocks, and the UV dye soaked into it, so I had baby-blue colored tubes instead of vibrant blue UV water in clear tubes after about a week of running. Cleaned it out and used a small bit of generic antifreeze, I've been running on that for about a month and it looks fine. Temps are about the same, they're a bit higher for me but I think that's because I accidentally flipped i/p and o/p of my pump, but am too lazy to fix it. Oops.

Edit: There's information about this in the stickies, and doing a forum search for 'additives' will bring you a bunch of threads where the same question is asked. Most have the word 'additive' in the thread topic.

Last edited:
Back