• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott & '77 Pontiac Bonneville HC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

Hey im running a Prescott 2.8E stock speeds, and im getting a idle temp of 46C and im using a '77 Bonneville HC, Hydor L30, Single Bay Rez, and a Maze4 CPU block. The HC feels cold to the touch. Im using the Giga-byte 8IK1100 Rev 1 motherboard and wondering if anyone knows if the reported temps are accurit on this board. Thanks

maybe you have the block mounted unevenly. Check your block mounting, and check for proper flow. Also evaluate your water coolant mixture, too much coolant will hurt temps. Then look into alternative temp sources (bios updates or sensors)

Well i did have the block messed up a few weeks ago but i got that fixed, As for coolant im not using any cause i dont what kind to use. Thanks

Get some coolant. I use Swiftech's mixture. Also make sure that hot air is exiting your case. I have a Prescott 3.0 at 3.6 and I was getting idol temps around 45c and 46c till I put in a more powerful fan to blow the hot air out of the case. My temps fell and now hover around 38c-41c depending on the time of day or night.

would a automotive coolant work? And what is the point of a coolant? My HC is mounted on the front of the case, ill most a pic in a min. I took that picture about 1 hour ago, now the T-line is up because i heard some air in the line some where.

Attachments

• DCP_1356.JPG
    DCP_1356.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 281
A lot of people use automotive coolants. Just check around to find out which ones are the best. The point of a coolant is that is increases the thermal receptivity of the water. That is, the water can pull more heat away from the heat source.

BTW, that heater core with those hoses sticking out on the front of your case looks awful. I'd be afraid of someone walking by and snagging one of those hoses right off of the system.

jenkx said:
BTW, that heater core with those hoses sticking out on the front of your case looks awful. I'd be afraid of someone walking by and snagging one of those hoses right off of the system.
lol, Im the only one down here but A. i dont have space in my case and B. its safer for the system, if it leaks it does not hurt the Mobo, vid card, etc.

Those hoses could be part of your problem, however. With that much extra tubing you're going to get quite a bit of head loss, and, given that you're using an L30, you want to shore up that loss as much as possible to keep your flow rate up.

Styyn said:
Those hoses could be part of your problem, however. With that much extra tubing you're going to get quite a bit of head loss, and, given that you're using an L30, you want to shore up that loss as much as possible to keep your flow rate up.

^ I second that ^

I have the same mobo and proc as you Archer, but my load temp is never above 40C.

Hound Dog said:
^ I second that ^

I have the same mobo and proc as you Archer, but my load temp is never above 40C.
Wow nice what version of Exos r u using? and how would the hose be causing problems to much pressure loss? I have ZERO room in my case for anything and its in a large desk with no more than 2' high and 8 1/2" wide for a case. if i took it all apart and just for compairison reason how would u recomend doing it?

Let me pull out my camera and take a quick side view a min. Now i should be seeing a difference between Black Ice Pro 1x120 86.5 CFM then going to '77 B'ville core 2x 86.5, shouldn't I? Is that where u guys r thinking i have to much tubing? The Core has about 2" between the case and its blowing out cool air is the same temp as the surrounding air.

Attachments

• DCP_13581.jpg
    DCP_13581.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
a shroud that gives you an inch of standoff between the fans and the face of the core would help quite a bit. you can usually get a 30-40% increase in cooling out of a heatercore with a good shroud. :)

the way you have it set up in the pics is likely not providing much more surface area than you would get with a BIX2. you want to make use of all of the surface area the core has to offer -- not just the fins down the middle that are covered with your fans. a shroud puts all the surface area into play...like this:
hcwshroudfans1.jpg

Hey Weapon, where did you get that 120mm shroud? Did you make it or buy it? And what type of sealant is that between the fans and the shroud and the rad?

jenkx said:
Hey Weapon, where did you get that 120mm shroud? Did you make it or buy it? And what type of sealant is that between the fans and the shroud and the rad?

I made it. That one is plexi but I have another one that is almost identical that is made from metal. the gasket between the shroud and the heatercore and the fans and the shroud is Vapco cork tape - it is basically the same stuff that chipcon called sealstring w/ the prommies. Most HVAC stores will have at least one version of it or some other cork tape.

Agreed on the need for a shroud. With the fans mounted directly you're only using about 30% of the rad for cooling, and the rest is just reservior.

As for temp monitoring, who knows. Without a direct probe that's calibrated, it's always gonna be a guess. Keep your firmware upgraded though.
I understand that Gigabyte's internet update doesn't always work so well and can bork your system. Download the bios update and use the utility that came with the board to update from that file, don't load it directly from the net, and you should be fine.

I would love to make a Shroud, but i just done have the skills nessary i mean how do you bend the sheet metal at the correct curve. Would you make it a box shape cause I see yours is kinda slanted on the edges. Now i was thinking i could flip the HC upside down and rotate it, im assuming you can place the fans on the back side and have it work just as well. About the bios, i can not seem to find what version im using I lood though every thing even the second bios chip, its probably staring me in the face and it does not show at boot.

A box works just fine. It also doesn't need to be made from metal. You can use any halfway solid material like cardboard or plastic just as well.
The only real rules are to leave at minimum a 1" space between the fan the heatercore fins (2" is better yet), close up any air leaks with whatever's available (tape, silicone, sealstring, whatever), and if you have two fans, put a divider between them so that each fan has it's own area of the heatercore to draw through.

I don't have a Gigabyte board, but my Abit shows the bios revision as the last two letters at the bottom of the screen when it boots (the screen that shows which processor is in there, first one).
You should be able to hit the pause/break button on your keyboard to halt on that screen long enough to read it all. Hitting enter afterwards resumes the boot once again.

Have fun, man!

Back