• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watch me torch my 9800pro! (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoonWolf

Fold For 32!
Well, I almost did. I did this when I was a complete noob to watercooling, so please don't flame me :cry:. Basically, when I got my MCW5000A, I just screwed the barbs in without silicone gasket sealer. I leak tested for 48 hours and the system actually ran for about 8 days before one of the barbs sprang a leak and almost killed my 9800 Pro. Thank god I put that northbridge fan there, otherwise I'd be short $250.

DSC00431.JPG

DSC00432.JPG

DSC00433.JPG

Fixed. The original directory was "almost torched my "sheeat"".

I can see on the pics that the barbs are not all the way down to the block. Are this the pics you toke after unscrewing them or did you use it like that? Because the barbs need to be alll the way down, until its fixed to the top. I always use silcone sealant in all my blocks, as a security precaution, if not i wouldnt sleep at night ;)
Im glad that you didnt get anything destroyed by that leak.

Waterbug said:
I can see on the pics that the barbs are not all the way down to the block. Are this the pics you toke after unscrewing them or did you use it like that? Because the barbs need to be alll the way down, until its fixed to the top. I always use silcone sealant in all my blocks, as a security precaution, if not i wouldnt sleep at night ;)
Im glad that you didnt get anything destroyed by that leak.

I tightened them down as far as I could using a monkey wrench, apparently it was either not meant to be tightened down any further or it MUST be used with silicone sealant in order for it to be leak-proof. I wouldn't know, since "real men don't read instructions :sn:."

The barbs did not go down any further than that when I applied silicone sealant and screwed them back in... so I dunno.

Holy huge pictures ;)

Well you've learned your lesson and you'll never do it again right? :) Yeah leaks suck, I'm always paranoid :(

I didn't sleep the next night because I was paranoid that it would leak again even with the silicone. Of course, turning the comp off was not an option :D

I have the same block in one of my systems, and i used a wrench to tight it down all the way to block top. So you can do it, i will take a pic of mine to show you, will put it up as fast as i can.

MoonWolf said:
I tightened them down as far as I could using a monkey wrench, apparently it was either not meant to be tightened down any further or it MUST be used with silicone sealant in order for it to be leak-proof. I wouldn't know, since "real men don't read instructions :sn:."

The barbs did not go down any further than that when I applied silicone sealant and screwed them back in... so I dunno.

Last edited:
Heres a pic of my MCW5002 block, sorry for the poor pic, have a bad camera.
As you can see the barbs are all way down in the pic.
MCW5002a.jpg

Wow, you were VERY lucky... The worst I've done is turn my computer on without the pump. It actually ran for about a half hour before it crashed...

Waterbug: I see what you mean. When I got down to where I had it in those pics, I felt like i was forcing the barbs in place. I stopped in fear of stripping the threads on the plastic barbs. Anyway, I applied the silicone very thoroughly and generously, I doubt that it will leak again. I'll try to post a few pics when I get home.

i have a half inch puddle on my 9700pro from a leaky NB block
leaks on it all the time, never bother fixing the leak
runs 3dmark at high clocks w/ or w/o coolant :D
water damage to components is rare
I've had more parts die from a bad application of artic silver :p

:eek:

Maybe if you use distilled water ONLY. I have antifreeze and dye in my water, which makes it a good deal more conductive. Either way, I would NEVER even consider taking that risk. I'd freak out if I saw so much as a drop of water on the back of my video card.

Post some pics if you can, I'm more than a bit skeptical.

MoonWolf said:
:eek:

Maybe if you use distilled water ONLY. I have antifreeze and dye in my water, which makes it a good deal more conductive. Either way, I would NEVER even consider taking that risk. I'd freak out if I saw so much as a drop of water on the back of my video card.

Post some pics if you can, I'm more than a bit skeptical.

even distilled water would rip off cu+ ions from ur copper block and make water conductive. I have antifreeze and orange dye in my loop right now.
i'll get some pics as soon as i can get my parents camera (they're sleeping and i should be too :p)

i just fired my 9800 pro got some water on it, still worked for a bit, shut down the pc, took apart the card and let dry. slapped it back in and it worked for a little while then the screen started clicking on and off. I rebooted then all i got was green and red blocks....it is currently being RMA to ati....hopefully they fix it...i pray they do

Last edited:
netboy said:
i just fired my 9800 pro got some water on it, still worked for a bit, shut down the pc, took apart the card and let dry. slapped it back in and it worked for a little while then the screen started clicking on and off. I rebooted then all i got was green and red blocks....it is currently being RMA to ati....hopefully they fix it...i pray they do

http://www.overclockers.com/articles753/ <--

Back