• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bacteria in water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

How would i know if i have bacteria in my water? After 1 1/2 weeks of use i noticed a white cloud floating in my res and going though my system. Then today i took off my res and there is junk stuck to the res, its very loose i can stick a zip tie in there and scrape it off, but there is no way i can get it all out. Would the Teflon tape cause this cloud floating in my system. Also some of the Teflon tape has turned green and im afraid this might clog up my system, do you guys use any kind of bacteria and what is it called? Also im not using any kind of dye or anything just straight Distilled water.

What kind of anticorrosion inhibitor do you use?
Milky water could be alot of things, 1, when you have copper and aluminium in your system and a corrosion process starts, you get milky water.
2, Watter Wetter gives sometime cloudy hoses,
3, Some antifreezer leaves white deposits, specially when use with some other corrosion inhibitor or dye, this are somekind of mineral salts created by the reaction of different solutions mixed together, i think. have never sent a sample to a lab, but it looks like minerals of some kind, and this happened to me when i mixed supercool and antifreezer.

Waterbug said:
What kind of anticorrosion inhibitor do you use?
Milky water could be alot of things, 1, when you have copper and aluminium in your system and a corrosion process starts, you get milky water.
2, Watter Wetter gives sometime cloudy hoses,
3, Some antifreezer leaves white deposits, specially when use with some other corrosion inhibitor or dye, this are somekind of mineral salts created by the reaction of different solutions mixed together, i think. have never sent a sample to a lab, but it looks like minerals of some kind, and this happened to me when i mixed supercool and antifreezer.
None right now, cause im still in the process of testing my two HC's but i have Hydor L30, the '77 bonniville HC, Maze4, and a Bay Rez 5 1/4 res.

------------------------Edit--------------------
Here are some pictures of the stuff at 60X magnetation, i scraped it off the nylon fittings where it seems to harden, its clumped because of the way i got it off.

Last edited:
You need to use atleast some antifreeze to keep out bacteria. Some people use bits of antibacterial caplets you can get at aquarium stores, but antifreeze gives the extra benefit of inhibiting corrosion.

You should use a corrosion inhibitor, and flush the system real carefully before use, to get rid of junk in the heathercore. I always use a soulution of antibacterial liquid mixed with sterelized water to flush the system clean of germs. Then i use some corrosion inhibitor in the final step to stop the eventual corrosion, and some drops of a algeakiller solution. Then i monitor the Ph balance in the system, have one of those electronic ph meters. It´s a bit hard to see what it cold be on those pics, is it a used HC you use?, then i could be junk from it. If not there is a chance it is the start of a corrosion process, or algea growth.

You wont get rid of bacteria with antifreezer, its good as an anticorrosion inhibitor, but af will not kill all bacteria, thou its toxic its not antibacterial.

IMOG said:
You need to use atleast some antifreeze to keep out bacteria. Some people use bits of antibacterial caplets you can get at aquarium stores, but antifreeze gives the extra benefit of inhibiting corrosion.

AF will keep bacteria from growing fairly well I believe. Once its established, it may not be any good at getting rid of it though... Isn't AF good enough at preventing it though?

Sorry i could not answer your last post earlier, im at home 2 days a week so it goes a bit of time between posts sometime. To me it looks like copperoxide, on those pics, as mentined above its hard to see and the cam sometimes alter the colors, just as test you could take some of the remainings and put it in a separate jar, the put in a antibacterial solution and see what happends. If its still green and its still there, then its copperoxide or simply junk.

I have not had that experience, but im sure it comes to how much af you use, and how clean all the parts are in the begining.
IMOG said:
AF will keep bacteria from growing fairly well I believe. Once its established, it may not be any good at getting rid of it though... Isn't AF good enough at preventing it though?

Hhum, the likelyness of bacteria to grow that fast, in to something visualy detectable as something else then fog, is little, i guess, offcourse, different cases, different storys.. most likely its corrosion from the hc.. clean clean clean clean.. and guess what, clean again.

Best of luck.
B!

Yeah, thats what i think too, specially if the HC been used or have been on some storeshelf in a humid climate for a long period. Or just the rests from a leaktest when it was built once up on a time. Thats why the flush thru is important before installing a system.
Bacteria can form inside a HC thats been on a shelf to long, as we all know germs are all around us. There are even a special kind of bacteria that grows on only rubber made products, making a thin white coating on it, dont know if you have noticed it when you buy a black rubber hose to your car or something like that.
-=Mr_B=- said:
Hhum, the likelyness of bacteria to grow that fast, in to something visualy detectable as something else then fog, is little, i guess, offcourse, different cases, different storys.. most likely its corrosion from the hc.. clean clean clean clean.. and guess what, clean again.

Best of luck.
B!

just flush the HC real good for a time and when nothing more gets out then use a corrosion inhibitor, to stop further corrosion.

Archer36 said:
Ok, what whould u clean it with?

If your problem was biological, you can break your loop down and clean it with alcohol. Just rinse and flush real good before you put more coolant in.

Yes, corrosion inhibitor could be either antifreeze or glycol as its also called or any other inhibitor like Swiftechs hydrx or Dteks supercool, to name some names.
Archer36 said:
By Corrosion inhibitor would a automotive coolant work, or are you talking like anti Freze?

Back