• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake - WC Modded

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

obsolete

One day I was just sitting here thinking of some sort of project I could get into. Well I remembered that I still had this Aquarius II kit made by TT. I inspected it & afterwards decided that I'm going to make use of this on my back up rig, aka the movie encoding machine.

I ditched the tubing, the pump/resvoir & kept the radiator & CPU block. I was aiming for an inexpensive alternative to cooling, while trying to do something with what I already have. I purchased a Eheim 1048 pump & decided to use a resvoir for this unit (should have T-lined it).

Anyways, cooling my 2600-M, currently OC'ed to 12x200, 1.8vcore. Still adjusting the WB orientation, but temps "were" 48ºC on load & 42ºC on idle. Thats on a very, very hot & humid day in MN, without airconditioning, probably in the worse tempature atmosphere. Also the WB mounting design by TT is not the best. Still trying to mount the block a different way. I just reseated the block & right now I'm looking at about 42ºC on full load (thats more I like it :D ). Probably looking at 45ºC at most on a hot day.

There are many restrictions. For one, TT Aquarius II uses 1/4 tubing. I didn't stick with the 1/4. I upgraded to 3/4 & used reducers to get the WB & rad compatible. I reduced from 3/4 to 1/4 going into the CPU block & rad & coming out, vice versa...... The pump & resvoir are 3/4.

I have two fans on the radiator to keep it cool, the rad is 100% copper. One fan is a 5500RPM 80x80x32 that comes with the TT Volcano 12, this is pushing air in. The other fan is a 80mm TT Smart Case fan that is rated at 5400RPM which is sucking air out. In between the cage I have a 120MM Vantec stealth fan pulling the air from the rad & fans out. There are also two 80mm fans pulling air out on the bottom of the case.

-ºb§

Attachments

• TT-WC.jpg
    TT-WC.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Thermaltake 006.jpg
    Thermaltake 006.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 146
  • ThermaltakeWC.jpg
    ThermaltakeWC.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Outside shot with lights on. Also, I'll probably shoot for 12.5x200 since the temps are way lower.

Attachments

• BackupPC-OutsideShot-Lights.jpg
    BackupPC-OutsideShot-Lights.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 205
Figured someone would find this interesting, lol, guess not. I think it's pretty tight actually & for how restrictive it is, it certainly performs well. I had a Volcano 11 on before & I could not get this high of an OC. With the Volcano 11 on I had to clock lower & it got higher temps.

Oh & I'm not running 1.8 on the core, I'm only running 1.7. Going to pump it up tonight though.

WOW! Do I ever find this thread interesting! j/k
Cool use of what you had, glad it worked out for ya - tho it may be a 1/4 block, with the 1/2" tubes and high powered pump, that means that you'd have higher flow through it than you would with a 1/2" block, right?

Not sure about that dreammmatt. It is a 1/4 block & I'm using 3/4 tubing. It's not a high powered pump though. The pump is actually so low that it barely keeps the flow going & certainly does not if the system is not filled all the way. Maybe it does create pressure & allow a higher flow through the block. But you would think that would only restrict it.

I just found it funny/interesting how crappy of water cooling solution it is & how well it performed given the hardware. I was expecting horrible tempatures. Way worse then what I was getting. But I was more less bored so I gave it a try.

I'm not saying this is the best mod ever or how great it is or anything. I bet if I would have created a thread asking opinions on how it will perform nobody would have antcipated the results.....

Back