• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a uber PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Errr, lol, good luck with that. Under $200 can be done, though.

You'd need a good dedicated bench supply for the 226w pelt, which would run you around $70-$100. Dangerden has a nice one that fits in the drive bays.

Then you'd need a seperate unit for the rest of your system and the 80W pelt. (you will not find one that will take it along with the 226w). This should cost around $50-$100, too. Any good brand 500W PSU should do the job there.

yea, to run the 226, the 80, and a well overclocked system, you would need a supply that can take ~50 amps on the 12 Volt rail, without the other rails suffering. I don't know of one that can do this.

A good 500W supply and a dedicated supply for the 226 is your best option.

Get this PSU for the pelts, and you will get great fans also. And then you can get a good PSU for your system, and still be well under $200! ;)

The 24v psu should be fine because he could wire the two pelts in series for 24v. The meanwell is pretty popular, but for $101 shipped you can get the FSP-550, which is rated for 36 amps on the 12v rail, which is 432 watts, and of course there's the rest of the supply that can power your computer. I have the FSP-550, and it has no trouble powering my oc'd computer with 3 hdd's and a cd drive PLUS my 226 watt peltier. For the peltier I was using the 8 pin EPS connector (4 12v and 4 ground) which I thought was perfect for the pelt, but after weeks of running without the connector even getting warm, the connector started to turn yellow :( so I gotta add another connector or two because I don't want to void the warranty by cutting wires.

It would definately be pushing it to power an oc'd computer with a 226 watt pelt PLUS an 80 watt pelt, but I wouldn't say it isn't possible. What I would do is buy the FSP-550, expecting to power only your computer and 226 watt pelt. If it is miraculously able to also power the 80 watt pelt, that's gravy. If not, you won't need anything special to power the 80. You could probably use a supply that you already have. Anyone know how much current an 80 watt pelt draws at 12v? The Imax is only 8.0 amps, Vmax 16.1v, so it won't be much.

Going the meanwell / FSP-530 route will cost twice as much. Play it right and you could be spending as little as $101, not counting the possibility of the 24v supply, which is also an option.

EDIT: also as an FYI, I have heard one report of the FSP-550 pulling 40 amps on the 12v rail before shutting off, but I can't verify this. If you want to send me the 80 watt pelt, waterblock, and necesary tubing/fittings/electrical connections I'd be happy to test it alongside my system + 226 watt, but I don't think it would be worth the extra time and money because even if it can't handle both, I still think you'd be better off with the 550.

Last edited:
Back