• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DangerDen (Laing) D4 pump review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The swiftech has a much better curce in that graph. Why does he say the DD pump was the best? The swiftech clearly was better? Good review though other than that.

I'm not going to claim that I'm an expert graph-reader, but doesn't the D4 start off at at higher GPH and maintains it on a steady downward curve that's equal to the 600? In a high-flow loop the D4 would seem to be better. Am I missing something Section? I'm not fan-boying it, just trying to understand what I'm seeing.

Last edited:
Section8 said:
The swiftech has a much better curce in that graph. Why does he say the DD pump was the best? The swiftech clearly was better? Good review though other than that.

lay off the crack

I am rather surprised the reviewer said the pump is near silent, and listed silence as one of the pros. I do now have one personally, but have heard they are whiny. maybe DD paid him?

Yes it does but at 7 feet it hits 0. Don't high performance Water Cooling Systems use restrictive blocks that increase pressure? If so than wouldn't you want a pump that could perform better at a higher pressure? If you look at the overall curve I would rather get the Swiftech. The DD also runs at 24 watts but says it only requires 18 watts where the Swiftech only requires 9. Other than that it does look good.

Last edited:
From the graph shown in the article, it's the L30 that reaches 0gph at 7 feet. The Laing pump curve is above the MCP600 one up to about 11'.

Section8 said:
Yes it does but at 7 feet it hits 0. Don't high performance Water Cooling Systems use restrictive blocks that increase pressure? If so than wouldn't you want a pump that could perform better at a higher pressure? If you look at the overall curve I would rather get the Swiftech. The DD also runs at 24 watts but says it only requires 18 watts where the Swiftech only requires 9. Other than that it does look good.

no

the DD is rated at 24w, consumes 18

this is common, in order to keep from overloading a power supply, in a worst case scenario. (think outside the box, like what tehse were intended for)

you're telling me 9w makes an impact on your purchasing thoughts? 9w is less than 1C difference. like .2C difference, depending on the rad.

More info on the lang pump from the Laing web site. They have a pdf with almost everything you could want to know about the thing. I emailed them to see it there are any resellers around.... Looks like DD just resells the things, mabey puts the molex on em. There has to be somewhere you can get them cheaper :)

Laing

My bad I am color blind I guess? I was looking at the wrong color... :bang head

But yes 1 degree would impact my buying decission. 1 degree here 1 degree there adds up you know.

lucas81 said:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/s...=1706046&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

check there, there are quite a few people with experience with them. You could also do a search on the name Cathar, he knows a lot of the pumps.

No disrespect to Cathar, but the last post I saw of his fixated on how supposedly noisy the D4 is. He's wrong about that. Now, I freely admit that I may have more tolerance for noise than most, but I was told, before ordering, that the D4 was about equal to a good 80mm fan, and they were right.

Ancient_1 said:
Actually Cather stated it was about the same as a med speed 60mm fan @ 12v and a delta screamer at 16v.

It's hard to judge something this subjective, if I understand what you're saying here. But I do know I just put away a 57db, 119CFM Tornado, and frankly, the D4 doesn't even come close. As for the thread itself, maybe it was the general tone. But after reading it and downloading Cathar's avi of comparative pump noise and I walked away dumb-founded because the D4 just isn't that noisy. TBH, I couldn't even see the logic in bringing the issue up.

One thing I've noticed about the water-cooling scene: Long-timers and people in the know tend to be hostile towards the idea of anything new. It's like they tie their egos to the component choices they've made. The only real innovation that seems to creep into the discipline appears to come from the bottom up, as new people buy in.

How do you think that the youngins learn? It is from people like Cather that showed many of us how to use watter cooling, and helped us make decide on what to buy. For you the sound of a 80mm fan may seem like not much, but when you are striving for a good and quiet watter cooling system, why would you want something that sounds like the fan you just took out? Yes some of us may lean tword our products. It is not because we are telling you that it is what you must have, but it is just that we have experience with them and have suplied many test results to back our aproval of them. If you dissagree then don't just say people are stuck in their ways. Buy the product for yourself and do the test and then suply us with what you have learned. We just suply what we have learned through our experiences with the products. Now back to the debate with the pump...

I think that once a company starts to design a smaller copper pump with high head then they could almost sweep the watercooling followers..

RedViper said:
One thing I've noticed about the water-cooling scene: Long-timers and people in the know tend to be hostile towards the idea of anything new. It's like they tie their egos to the component choices they've made. The only real innovation that seems to creep into the discipline appears to come from the bottom up, as new people buy in.

I don't think that is true at all.

Back