• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hmm, i didn't think of this (Hot MOSFETS)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaso

So recently i've made the move to water, and i'm mighty pleased with it. Apart from from one little thing, my PWM Temps (its an abit mobo). Thing is, how i have wc there is almost 0 Airflow around my CPU socket, so the MOSFETS are getting hot (I shut down my PC when they got to 80). So At the moment i've kinda jammed a fan in there to cool it down and i've 5ved the fan to presver my silence. But this is not an ideal solution the temps are at 52ish so i need some Sinks or something.

Anyone had anything similar or any ideas

how are your getting temps of your mosfets??

As for your question, old cpu heatsinks work great (once cut up) in conjunction with Ceramique. just get an old 40mm or 60mm fan and position it there. [not like you should have a fan-port shortage ;-) ]

Passive rads will be enough. Recycle those now-useless heatsinks :) Dremel + thermal epoxy.. MOSFETs car run very hot, so it's not worth an extra effort unless you really have voltage problems.

Mosfet1.jpg

my mosfets =)

Mosfet%20Mounted3.jpg

i have a 40mm fan on top that isnt shown in the pics though

Is sinking the mosfets that effective without airflow? On my abit my mosfets ran 85c with no airflow. On the epox I'm currently running I put heatsinks on everything that they would stick to. With no airflow though, the heatsinks just get really hot and slowly(?) dissipate heat?

Ok i've got a heatsink i stole off an old k6-2 (but its attually a Intel one from a celeron). wierdly i did a google for intel heatsink the second picture was this one This is the one Without Fan

I'm going into town this weekend so i'm going to get a Hack-saw, now i need some thermal adehsive, i wonder if the local computer shop will have any

check out microcool they make pretty good heatsinks for mosfets and other chips.

Back