• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silicon?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spinout113

Registered
What is this silicon stuff that everyone is mentioning that is put on the tube when connecting it? Supposibly, It helps prevent leaks?? What is it? Should I buy some even if I go w/ an all in one kit? Thanks

SILICONE!

Silicon is what you make processors out of.

Silicone is what breast implants and seals are made of.

If you have leak problems, silicone is helpful. Its a goo that hardens in to a rubbery compound.
Its about $3 at any hardware store.

I wouldnt get any unless you test it and notice leaks- it looks ugly if you need to use it.

It's also chemically inert and doesn't react easily with other compounds. The only silicone tubing I've seen was at home depot and it felt too "collapseable" to use in a loop. Is there another kind?

Don't use silicone on the tube-barb connection. It's a gooey sealant that dries rubbery. Use it around pump housings, and the like if they are leaking. You shouldn't have to use any sealant on the tube-barb connection. Only hose clamps. Use teflon tape on the threads of barbs. Use it where they screw into the block, pump, or radiator.

Should I use the plastic hose clamps that usually come w/ kits or should I invest in metal ones? Thanks

There are different types of silicone, some hardens and gets a hard surface, and others get rubberlike when they dry. The last one is the most usefull as you can undo the stuff just by pealing it of. Its often used to make aquarimtanks or fix a leak, so it should not be difficult to find it in a hardwarestore. Your should not use it to seal the tubes, just use metalclamps, they are all you need. You can use the silicone to seal barbs or fix pumpleaks.

That's a good question. The nylon ones usually need to be finger-tightened, which hurts, though you can use plyers. The metal clamps are easier in that respect. I guess it boils down to which looks better to you.

I would just use the plastic ones. If they are included, why not use them? I use metal spring type hose clamps. I was afraid of the worm drive ones because those can cut into your tubing. Mine you just squeeze with pliers, slide down the tube, and release when you get over the barb. They are made out of a single length of metal rod, so no worries of it cutting into my tubes.

There are different quality of worm drive clamps, there are ones with rounded edges and the plain old with sharp edges. I use the rounded ones, and clearflex hose, so if i wanted i could tighten the clamps as hard as i can without damaging the tubing. They are uglyer than the plastic ones, but alot much more secure, and easier to take off and put on, at least thats my own experience, and preference.

ZachM said:
I would just use the plastic ones. If they are included, why not use them? I use metal spring type hose clamps. I was afraid of the worm drive ones because those can cut into your tubing. Mine you just squeeze with pliers, slide down the tube, and release when you get over the barb. They are made out of a single length of metal rod, so no worries of it cutting into my tubes.

Back