• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DD RBX block installation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ol!ver

Registered
I'm installing a Danger Den RBX water block onto my NF7S following the instructions on their site. Problem is it doesnt tell me where the thick washers are supposed to go. It just keeps mentioning washers, of which I have a load of thin ones, and only 4 thick.

Can someone put me straight?

Cheers

Oli

Oliver, if you haven't gotten too far, use a bit of loctite, the breakable kind if you want, on the nuts on the back of the mobo. It'll stop them from vibrating loose over time.

RedViper said:
Oliver, if you haven't gotten too far, use a bit of loctite, the breakable kind if you want, on the nuts on the back of the mobo. It'll stop them from vibrating loose over time.
Bah, too late now :)

Any idea where I'm supposed to put the pads that stop me crushing the core? Doesnt seem much room for sticking em.

Cheers

Oli

Ol!ver said:
Bah, too late now :)

Any idea where I'm supposed to put the pads that stop me crushing the core? Doesnt seem much room for sticking em.

Cheers

Oli

Ah, don't worry about it. It'll work either way. ;)

Yeah, I noticted that he didn't cover that in detail. Maybe where the RBX doesn't fully contact the crush pads that come on the CPU? I read that the RBX wasn't wide enough to use the standard pads consistently.

I have a DD RBX and let me tell you, the mounting hardware SUCKSSSSS. I had to super glue the nut to the washer located behind the motherboard because the d*mn screw kept coming loose when I was screwing it in. Man, it ****ed me off so much. I never had that problem with my old Dtek TC-4; their mounting hardware was a LOT BETTER.

Anyways, if you have spare foam pads, just put them beside the core where you know the heatsink will contact it. The thickest washer I used at the very top underneith the nut.

:p Damn, I'm sure glad I slapped some loctite on them! Yeah, I'm satisfied with the block, but the mounting just ain't right.

RedViper said:
:p Damn, I'm sure glad I slapped some loctite on them! Yeah, I'm satisfied with the block, but the mounting just ain't right.

Ive just started the install, glued the bottom nut too. How tight should I make the threaded bolt? Cant get it solid, so it moves left and right a bit, but not up and down. Is this right?

Ta

Oli

Idealy, according to the installation guide I have, you should tighten it as much as you can by hand and a quarter to a half turn more with some plyers. They shouldn't wobble too much after that. Be sure to lock the CPU in place before you do the final tightening on lever side.

At the moment I'm as far as tightening the thumb-screws down to secure the block. I'm struggling to tell if I am keeping it straight though, and it doesnt seem to be getting any closer to the cpu.

Starting to wish I'd not started now :)

Oli

It's cool. I went through the same thing. After a certain point, the springs will start to spin and won't tighten any further. A safety mechanism I guess. As long as you cross-tightened and the block is even on the core, everything will be fine.

RedViper said:
It's cool. I went through the same thing. After a certain point, the springs will start to spin and won't tighten any further. A safety mechanism I guess. As long as you cross-tightened and the block is even on the core, everything will be fine.

How do I know when it is touching the core/know when I'm going to crush it?
Looking at the video from earlier in the thread, the block is touching the whole cpu, but surely if the core is raised, there should be a gap top and bottom?

CHeers

Oli

Did you mount the extra anti-crush pads that came with the RBX? I know that the pads that come on the CPU are a bit higher than the core and compress down to match its height. Just tighten until all four springs start to rotate and you should be okay, but no more than that. If you want a more visible way of telling if the base is contacting the core correctly, take look a in between.

I'm starting to see why it would be possible to over-tighten though. :-/ DD is going to have to consider a mounting mechanism to match the quality of their blocks.

RedViper said:
Did you mount the extra anti-crush pads that came with the RBX? I know that the pads that come on the CPU are a bit higher than the core and compress down to match its height. Just tighten until all four springs start to rotate and you should be okay, but no more than that. If you want a more visible way of telling if the base is contacting the core correctly, take look a in between.

I'm starting to see why it would be possible to over-tighten though. :-/ DD is going to have to consider a mounting mechanism to match the quality of their blocks.

Well tbh, Ive now got to the point where I cant really tighten it much more. The springs aren't spinning, but they look like they're as compressed as they're gonna get. Thing is there still seems to be a gap. I used the pads because the block doesnt sit on the standard amd ones. Using those as a guide though, it looks like it would be sitting just on them. My worry is that if I turn it all on with it not touching right, I'm going to kill the CPU. Of course, it's also possible I'd do that by over-tightening em ! :D

Cheers mate

Oli

After all that tightening you're seeing a gap??? Does your mobo have CPU overheat protection? Did you install the thick washers between the spring and the acrylic top? At this point, just slap it all together an give it a go. Stop in the BIOS and monitor the temps for a good while FIRST and see what the thermal curve is. Yeah, the problem with the pads was why I didn't go with the RBX. Or as one reviewer put it: "Why doesn't DD just make the base bigger?" Good luck mate! :) Keep posting your progress.

RedViper said:
After all that tightening you're seeing a gap??? Does your mobo have CPU overheat protection? Did you install the thick washers between the spring and the acrylic top? At this point, just slap it all together an give it a go. Stop in the BIOS and monitor the temps for a good while FIRST and see what the thermal curve is. Yeah, the problem with the pads was why I didn't go with the RBX. Or as one reviewer put it: "Why doesn't DD just make the base bigger?" Good luck mate! :) Keep posting your progress.

Cheers for the replies mate, tis appreciated.

Yeah it is set to turn off at 60c IIRC, but still nervous :) This gap is about the hight of a rubber pad, and the pads are there to stop you crushing it, so I'm thinking it cant be too far from there.

How long should it take to get to daft temps?

I'll build up the courage and let you know how it goes.

My pleasure. When you get good with this, help someone else. Karma and all. :cool:

Daft? :) Do you mean solid temp readings? Well, depending on how much you trust your sensor, not long at all. After a few minutes for sure. Then hit Windows, play around for while and check again. 32-40c is about right, depending, of course, on ambient and what sort of components you have.

RedViper said:
My pleasure. When you get good with this, help someone else. Karma and all. :cool:

Daft? :) Do you mean solid temp readings? Well, depending on how much you trust your sensor, not long at all. After a few minutes for sure. Then hit Windows, play around for while and check again. 32-40c is about right, depending, of course, on ambient and what sort of components you have.

I mean if it's not on right, how long before the CPU is killed? :)

Oli

Ol!ver said:
I mean if it's not on right, how long before the CPU is killed? :)

Oli

From what I understand, without a HS or any other way to dissipate, it'll be pretty quick. :eek: Have you tried it yet?

Back