• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Configuring dual rad, 3 pelt system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-zoso-

Registered
I've been watercooling for some time now and have decided to move to peltier cooling. I'm trying to figure out the best way to hook things up and I'm sure I can get some opinions here.

I have the following:

CPU:
Mobile 2400+ (1.35v)
DangerDen Maze4-1 + 226w TEC

GPU:
9800XT
Swiftech MCW50-T w/ 80w TEC. Will swap out for 172w.

Chipset:
Nforce2 (NF7-S v2)
DangerDen Maze4 Chipset Block. Will use the 80w from GPU block.

Copper Heater Core - about 10"x6"x2" (from an old chev if I remember correctly)
Black Ice Micro 80mm Rad. Rated for 275w.
700+ GPH pump.
double 3 1/2" bay reservoir.
Everything is 1/2" ID

550w TrueControl PSU for main power.
Have several 350-400w PSUs lying around so I'll probably use a couple of them for the pelts.

Have not done any volt mods as of yet, but I'm sure they'll happen.

So, after doing a fair amount of reading, it seems that the general consensus is that rads in parallel are better than in series. The point that really convinced me is the fact that you want the water going into each rad as hot as possible for better cooling efficiency. Also, the pelts will be in paralell (mostly), as I dont dare connect them in series. I figure that is just asking for trouble.

So I'm planning the following and would invite people to pick it apart:

Pump-->CPU-->Big Rad-->Res
|
--->GPU-->NB-->Little Rad-->Res

Wasn't sure which rad should go where. This was my first thought, but knowing how much heat those 9800XTs put out is making me reconsider. Also, the combined output of the 2 TECs on the GPU/NB path is greater than the 1 TEC on the CPU path. Or maybe I should move the rads after the res. so the water has a chance to mix and the heat is distributed more evenly?

Also, I thought about connecting the GPU and NB in parallel as well, but I'm not sure if the flow would be too low at this point. (Would the flow be 1/3 or 1/4 of that coming out of the pump at this point?) If I do leave them in series is it better to have the hotter one first or last?

Finally, do I need to use a cold plate on the NForce2? I realize it has a "heat spreader" already, but I dont know if this is sufficient or not. I would use one just to be safe, but I can't seem to find one.

Think that's about it. Sorry if I rambled on (gonna ramble on, sing my song... oh sorry...). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Promise to let you know how it turns out...

Thanks in advance.

In my opinion, the black ice micro isn't going to do much for you.

GPU / NB: putting them in parallel will decrease the flow to each individual block, but it will increase the overall flow (more flow to the radiator) which is good.

pump: max head rating is more important than max flow rating. the brand name is also important.

NB: from what I read, putting a peltier on your NB is a waste of time and resources, but go ahead and try it if you can power it.

power: pay attention to the amp rating of the 12v rails, as well as brands. the 226 watt pelt will draw about 20 amps at 12v. ratings on generic supplies don't count for crap.

also you'll get more/better responses if you post in the water cooling section. the extreme cooling section on this forum doesn't get nearly as much traffic.

Looks like a pretty sweet setup.

You might want to consider getting another big heatercore. Your going to be dumping something like ~650 watts or more into that water, so a second big heatercore would help out a lot.

Also, I was under the impression that it's best for any given loop to have the radiator placed just before the main heat load(s), so that the water is at it's coldest point when it hits the load.

This would mean that your rads would go in front of the CPU, and GPU.

However, this would mean that your pump would be seeing some very hot water, and pumps are known to fail due to overheating. With nearly 700W in that system, I think you REALLY need another bigger radiator. Maybe you could give each loop a big rad, and have the little rad placed just in front of the pump.

rad upgrade would help the loop a lot, why not get a brother for your big arse heatercore?
if your pump is any good it won't matter what order your components are in. pelt blocks are not restrictive, and neither are heatercores so your flow rate should be very good. do what ever is convienent, and don't be afraid to run those rads in series :)

Thanks for the input so far...

I think I will take the advice and get myself another heater core. I was hoping to keep everything in/on one case. (I'm already mounting the 1st heater core on the back of the case.) Sure I can find a way to squeeze it in.

As I dont feel like spending another 3 hours ripping one out of an old car, I'll probably just buy one from an auto store. Does anybody have any suggestions for what is readily available in most stores that would be best? Maybe they'll let me go in back and look around myself? Also, I saw a 6 1/8 x 7 3/8 x 2" heater core on pcpowerzone.com. Anybody used this before?

As for the coldplate on the NB... Do I need one? Should I bother lapping the NB, as I know they are nowhere near flat?

About running the rads in series, it still seems logical to run them in paralell as I need 2 loops anyway. This way the overall flow is higher, the water is in each rad longer, and the water is going into each rad at a higher temperature for more efficient cooling.

One last thing... My pump has a 1/2" ID outlet. If I use 5/8" ID hose off of this will I help flow at all, or will the change in diameter just increase turbulence in the tubing and have an adverse effect?

Oh yeah... to squeakygeek, the pump is a danner magdrive 7. 700gph at 0' and max head is 13' (This is where the pump shuts off.. same thing right?).

Thanks again....

Im doing something similar with three heatercores and the beast ehiem pump, it goes:

pump-> GPU -> Rad -> CPU -> Res -> Rad -> Rad

NicePants42 said:
Also, I was under the impression that it's best for any given loop to have the radiator placed just before the main heat load(s), so that the water is at it's coldest point when it hits the load.

This would mean that your rads would go in front of the CPU, and GPU.

However, this would mean that your pump would be seeing some very hot water, and pumps are known to fail due to overheating. With nearly 700W in that system, I think you REALLY need another bigger radiator. Maybe you could give each loop a big rad, and have the little rad placed just in front of the pump.

In most setups the temp difference across each component is negligible.

you definately need a coldplate on anything you're cooling with a peltier, including the NB.

Back