• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DD dual heatercore vs. Black Ice Xtreme 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CAPiTA

I had a post about this in my topic title, but the question was at the bottom of all the posts so it was misleading. So far, I've been told that the DD dual heater core will perform better that the BIX2. The price compared to the BIX2 is unbeatable, $34 vs. $100. My real concern is performance. Sacrificing 4+ degrees Celsius is not something I want to do.

Is the DD dual heater core a good performer? And is it worth the money over the BIX2?

Thanks

yeh its worth it over the bix2 but a bonneville from autozone is even cheaper but needs some modding. the dd dual 120 might be too wide if you mounting it up top in your 5.25 drive cage. if you want one modded with the right fittings for you people on the forums sell em as well as ebay. hope that helps. heres a link

ebay

This is what dangerden's website says about the heat dissipating capabilities of the BIX2
2-pass Double-row Low Pressure Drop Radiator specifically developed for PC watercooling based on the new high-performance Black Ice Xtreme design. Rated for 1580KCal per hour (6270BTU per hour) or 919Wh.

I'd like to see what the heat dissipating capabilities of a dual 120mm heater core are. I just bought a BIX2 for my next project but its not to late to return it.

b0bby said:
the dd dual 120 might be too wide if you mounting it up top in your 5.25 drive cage. if you want one modded with the right fittings for you people on the forums sell em as well as ebay. hope that helps. heres a link

Hey bobby, once you pay for that mod one might as well spend $10-$15 more and get a BIX2 that is sure to fit. But still I'd like to here about the official cooling abilities of a 240mm heater core.

jenkx said:
Hey bobby, once you pay for that mod one might as well spend $10-$15 more and get a BIX2 that is sure to fit. But still I'd like to here about the official cooling abilities of a 240mm heater core.

yeh but heatercores will out perform any radiators that are in its class as far as size is concern. this is from researching but someone feel free to correct me if im wrong. the stuff on the ebay link can be had for less if you mod the bonneville from autozone yourself. voyeurmods.com sells a painted dual 120 heatercore similar to the dd one but for lil more of course (paint). they don't put any dimensions on the site but i emailed them and they are about 1/8 off from the dd so for the most part the same.

Cool. I'm definitely going to go for a heater core now. Now I have to decide if I want to use ebay or from an online store.

Thanks for the help

b0bby said:
yeh but heatercores will out perform any radiators that are in its class as far as size is concern. this is from researching but someone feel free to correct me if im wrong. the stuff on the ebay link can be had for less if you mod the bonneville from autozone yourself. voyeurmods.com sells a painted dual 120 heatercore similar to the dd one but for lil more of course (paint). they don't put any dimensions on the site but i emailed them and they are about 1/8 off from the dd so for the most part the same.

It's not that I don't believe you, It seems logical that a heater core would outperform a radiator. But let’s match numbers against numbers so that this issue can be settled. Just to say one is better than the other is just like "he said...she said." As I posted before the BIX2 dissipates 1580KCal per hour. How much more or less does a heater core dissipate?

Good point. But there was another thread that discussed the BIX2 and its heat dissapation. I believe the conclusion was that the rad will dissapate that much heat at 100 degrees celsius, this was said by Cathar. The information provided by HW labs was not very detailed.

1580 KCal/hr. Is a bogus claim. They do not state air/ water temperature differentials, so it is impossible to measure the dual with the same rating.

Back