• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question 1/2 inch tube and not quite 1/2 barbs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gbaz

Ok im putting together my 1st wc setup. Orderd 1/2 inch tube and barbs, and as i was looking at them i realize that the barbs and fittings are much smaller than 1/2 inch ID. Is it common to use the next size higher to reduce the flow resistance? Or does it make such a small difference that its not worth doing?

gbaz said:
Ok im putting together my 1st wc setup. Orderd 1/2 inch tube and barbs, and as i was looking at them i realize that the barbs and fittings are much smaller than 1/2 inch ID. Is it common to use the next size higher to reduce the flow resistance? Or does it make such a small difference that its not worth doing?

I personally don't mess with over-sized fittings, but then again, I have a powerfull pump.

I just got the barb that had 1/2 id, which I think was the 5/8 od. Boiled the tubing and fit pretty easily.

I was thinking 5/8 inch ID may be the way to go. O well looks like i wasted $13 on fittings :( You learn something new every day :)

nylon is cheap, and ill feel better if i just do it now instead of deciding i should have done it after the system is installed.

I feel your pain. I'm enlarging the holes in my res to accept 5/8"X1/2"NPT barbs for better flow. A 1/2" ID system should have 1/2" ID barbs. ;)

Its not that we want 5/8 id we want 1/2 id, but barbs made for 1/2id tube is not 1/2 id. It is a little smaller. There would probebly be a very small difference, if at all. But as long as I can do it before the system is even in my box the ony reason not to would be becouse ive spent a few dollars on smaller barbs. As long as the tube will fit over the larger barbs it can not hurt.

VballCoach said:
has anyone seen a difference worth going to 5/8"X1/2" npt barbs?

I haven't done any comparison tests, but I'm sure there is a difference however small it may be.
All those "small differences" add up. Plus, it makes me feel good. :bday:

And if thats all it take to make you happy then you are a lucky man :) Do it now and never have to think about it again.

Back