• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Engine Coolant in Water Rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

loks

i am purchasing a new watercooling kit from Dangerden and i was wondering could i put engine coolant in the setup rather than water?

no. too viscous, it would have horrible heat transfer capability. you may be able to use coolant as an ADDITIVE, but not as the sole liquid. read stickies, it talks about how water is the absolute best liquid for heat transfer.

a limited amount may even enhance performance, and more importantly, it will prevent corrosion, and if your lucky, add some slight coloring to your coolant.

B!

I'm hoping we're talking about antifreeze, and yes, you should use an antifreeze mix in your wc rig. I think most use a 75% water 25% antifreeze mix but I've heard all the way up to a 90/10 mix, might read the stickies for more. If you just ran straight water there would be a good possibility of corrosion or bacteria.

you guys say water is absolute best, I'm using reverse osmosis water and dowfrost in a 50/50 mixture :)

this **** is the rock, and the dowfrost is 180$ US for a gallon....

The anti corrosion properties in the antifreeze are a great idea. Like previously stated, I would only use about 5%. It does not take much to coat the system for anti corrosion.
I would go with the new red coolant. A bit more advance in chemical properties.
You might be able to go to a service repair shop and ask a technician if he can spare some. Make sure you have a sealed container to trasport it into.
They most likely will not give it to you otherwise. They can get into trouble if it is allowed to get into the ground soil. If you really read the bottle of this stuff and what the chemicals can do.................

1/2 fluid oz can kill a cat or dog. They are naturally attracted to it since it is sweet smelling.
Hope I helped a bit

so what should i go with because one is tell me 75% anitfreeze 25% water, someone else is telling me 90% ant 20% h2O, and you just told me 10% anti 90%H2O???

squeaky, its a special heat transfer liquid created to cool spindles in CNC machines etc, expensive stuff, straight from california.... i use it because i can :D

loks said:
so what should i go with because one is tell me 75% anitfreeze 25% water, someone else is telling me 90% ant 20% h2O, and you just told me 10% anti 90%H2O???

Confusing, isn't it? Do it the easy way, 96% distilled/dionized water, 4% largely recommended coolant. Toss in a smidge of algaecide if you're paranoid. Remember, water is the best, but it needs to be augmented some.

phaeton said:
squeaky, its a special heat transfer liquid created to cool spindles in CNC machines etc, expensive stuff, straight from california.... i use it because i can :D

The pH of this stuff is way alkaline. Did you notice that?

squeaky, dunno, but one if you saw my WC setup a while back you will see its ghetto, two i get this stuff for free....

redviper i did, but i dont see how that will affect things in my setup?

Back