• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with triple (quad?) rad system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-zoso-

Registered
I have previously posted in the Extreme Cooling section about a pelt based system I'm putting together. The main suggestion I got was "More Rads!!!".

So, I've now got my self a couple '77 Bonneville heater cores (thanks to Weapon for the info), as well as my original heater 8x6x2" heater core. With 3 rads & 3 PSUs, the option of keeping this a self-contained system has vanished, so I will be building an external box to house the rads and 2 of the PSUs. So, a few questions regarding this...

I plan to keep the external box on the floor. It seems to me that the extra tubing length required to do this shouldn't cause a problem? I would think the weight of the water travelling down would offset the power required to push the water back up the tubing? (ie. Does height make a difference in a closed loop system?) Seems logical but has anybody had experience with this?

Also, will it make a difference if the pump is in the PC case or in the external one?

As I'd like to keep a single pair of hoses between the PC and the other case, does anybody know a way of building a Y fitting that goes from a single 5/8" ID to 2 1/2" ID barbs? (talking ID of tubing... for some reason I still get confused about this..) Is it even worth it using 5/8" tubing for the non-paralell sections as the pump only has a 1/2" outlet? BTW, the pump is a Danner MagDrive 7 with 700GPH at 0' head and a max head of 13', so I think I should be ok there...

Is there any way I can make the tubing between the 2 cases detachable (while full)? I guess a set a valves work work? There must be a cooler way to do it?

So given all of this here is my thoughts on setting things up...

In external case(Pump->5/8"->3x1/2"->3x heater cores->3x1/2"->5/8") -> PC
In PC case(5/8"->2x1/2"->CPU------------------>5/8"->external case
.................................|................................|
.................................-->NB->micro rad->GPU--

(Sorry bout the dots... Wouldn't seem to keep my spaces in there...)

Suggestions?

On another note... Do I need a coldplate on my NB when using a pelt? I've been told yes by one person but I'm hoping he's wrong as they seem to be hard to come by.

Now if I can just convince my wife to let me take over the living room again...

Very cool... Just realized these guys are 10 minutes away from where I live... Looks like I've got a new hangout. ;)

Back