• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC Newb is almost ready!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albuquerque

Went cruising through the classifieds, picked up a nice collection:

WA2's Rad combo: silver rad, 1/2" barbs, shrowd, 2 x 120mm Delta fans, mounting hardware
WA2's Res combo: plexi res, 1/2" barbs, 5' of vinyl tubing
Nocturnal's old DTek WW cpu block with 1/2" barbs
Dibs on (but don't have yet) a DD Maze4 GPU block for the incoming X800XTPE
Went online surfing, found a Via Aqua 1300 for $19.99 + cheap shipping.
Went to Home Depot and found some necessary fittings, clamps and more tubing.

So for around $200, I think I've got a pretty good shot at this. The current setup is pump -> rad -> CPU block -> res -> pump, and I think I'll put the Maze4 (if I get it) right after the CPU block for easy routing of tubage. My generic case has been completely taken apart for proper hole drilling et al, and I took this opportunity to try out my first case painting scheme as well :p It's not going to win any awards, I haven't changed any LED colors or mounted a plexi window or anything ;)

The loop has been leak-testing for the last four hours, and so far so good. The Via Aqua had a small leak around the threading of the output pipe threading area; it ended up taking seven windings of teflon tape around the threads to finally get it sealed up (yes I tried less, no it didn't work!)

Once I actually get my poor machine back together, I'll post some pics and some stats and let everyone know what kind of results I get :)

Nice collection for nice parts but I'm wondering why you skimped on the pump? There are many much more reliable, non-leakey pumps out there for not much than 20$ more new. I'm not trashing Via 1300's, I have one myself, it's just that for a high performance watercooling system on high performance parts, why go with an iffy pump? Other than that it's looking good. I think I speak for everyone when I say let's see some pics'.

I'll see if I can post up some pics tomorrow, it's not really together yet but some "initial testing stages" pictures are always fun :p I did end up getting the Maze4, rock!

As for the Via Aqua 1300:

I know quite a few people who share your thoughts on that pump, but I did quite a bit of websearching and ended up deciding that was my best bet for a beginner setup. Here is my basic reasoning:

1. Most of the "professional" sites that reviewed it found it to work quite well. Most of them did cite leakage issues around the intake side, I actually had none there but had the tiny leak above the output side. No biggie to fix...

2. Several people cite it as being loud -- mine is inaudible at about 5-6 feet when sitting on a counter (without the rubber feet). When I first powered it on, it was a bit noisy, but after about 20+ hours of constant running it has dulled considerably. I haven't performed the impellor mod yet (where you superglue it together so it doesn't freely rotate) but I'm already on it.

3. Flow-wise, it's right up there with a lot of the "better" pumps. 6+ feet of head, still sustaining around 300gph of flow at 3ft of head (which is MORE than plenty for a small in-case WC setup like mine).

4. Money. You mentioned there are other $20 pumps available, and there are; none of them have the same flow or head capacity as this one. The Hydor L30 is a good competitor and (by reviewers) is much quieter, but goes for about $40USD at bare minimum. That's not much, but is it necessary? Do I spend $20 more in a different pump, or $5 more for some little thick felt or foam pads between the pump and the case? Know what I mean? :)

I think the Via Aqua has a lot more going for it than a few naysayers give it credit for. And hell, if I'm "proven" wrong, so be it. I'll grab a Hydor and have it done with :)

I didn't mean to be so negative about the pump. I actually like it. What I ment was if you're going to spend alot, might as well not skimp. For $40 you could have gotten the Mag 3 which is probably the best "small" pumps you can get.

Back