• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noobie question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.über

Registered
Hey guys I got a question about me getting a liquid cooling system heres my setup right now
Mobo-Abit nf7-s
Processor-Amd xp 2000+
Video card- Geforce 4 ti 4200
And I want to get a liquid cooling system were something is prebuilt I dont want to hasel with cutting holes for exaust etc and I got a small case I want to upgrade to a dragon but I was wondering are the koolance cases any good? and cut me some slack guys im only 13 ;) oh yeah guys and please dont flame me :p

While Koolance aren't recommended by almost all members here, I think they are great for people who have absoluetely no idea where to start on watercooling. You're temps won't be much better than air cooling, if better at all but at least you can say '|-|3`/ 1 VV@+3|Z <007!!111one one one' (Hey, I watercool!!!!!!!!). Koolance are also generally much more expensive than home-brew cooling.

What if I bought the dtekcustoms kit and got a dragon would that be better?

And thats some confusing l337 man :-/

Oh yeah and my names pat two :p

OK, If I can field this one please help me if I get something wrong....
First of all what is the reason that you want to watercool? Secondly, if you are going to be upgrading to a new case, can this wait until you get a new case?

If I was looking for a prebuilt system I would say to look for the Koolance system The Exos system. My brother just bought ond he is OverClocking keeping his temp at 27°C
And that was just for starters. He spent more than $300.00 for the setup.

If you are looking into a new case you can get the Koolance case with all of the water cooling equipment already installed. You will need to install water bolcks and the such but I kind of think that you already know that.

This can get expensive if you are going to buy a prebuilt kit and all of the necessities.
Another good option is to build one on your own. you will need to buy somethings but it is far cheaper to do that, then to spend mega bucks on a prebuilt system.
In my system I have a Heater Core that I just got from Danger Den (I had originally got one from the junk yard - it was very clean).
I have a pump that I got from ebay for 5.00.
Using a res. that I bought from an electrical store... it is one of those square in the ground electrical boxes that has a solid top and seal.
I have a homemade waterblock and tubing that I got from the hardware store.
I have about $60.00 in the whole system. Maybe a little bit more but it is working out pretty well.
Hope this help gives you a little bit of help to bet started with... I would strongly recommend that you look into what you are buying - Read reviews on whatever it is that you are buying BEFORE you buy. You don't want to get something and find out that you really didn't like the features that it carried, or that it was harder to set up then you thought.

-Bri

As I replied in another thread ("Toying with Exos") I'm also getting pretty good temps with this thing. It's not as hardcore as a DIY but it is hassle free and has good monitoring features. But then I'm only OCing to 2.5 GHz at 1.675v. Loaded temp is 33-35C with a 28 C ambient so that's pretty decent. For me the monitoring/dual pumps were a big deal since this PC stays on constantly regardless of whether I'm in front of it or not. It's nice to know that if one pump goes the other can limp along and the fans will speed up on their own if cpu temp goes up. ( I know the sensor is on the water block but block temp has good correlation with the CPU temp.) If you're looking for highest performance this is not it. But if you want a cooling solution that is quiet, pretty much takes care of itself and delivers pretty good temperatures, this is it.

Why the exos and not the case one like the 601? I didnt want it do draw air from the case. Using warm air to cool would be less efficent. Plus I like aluminum cases better. Exos Aluminum looks pretty good on a Antec P160 (exact match in color and style).

Last edited:
Back