• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pelt Cooled Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bad_CEKTOP

Registered
So I got my DD Maze 4 GPU 80watt Pelt kit and decided this would be a good time to start testing the ambient pelt cooled loop idea. So far, the loop is not cooling any processors. The water is a lot colder with pelt on than off, the Via Aqua 1300 produces a lot of heat and the 80watt pelt is getting rid of that very nicely and cooling the water a noticeable difference. There is a little bit of condensation on the GPU block. This is all without any fans on the heater core.

At the moment, it's just a test to see if an 80watt could give positive results. I'll be getting more hose clamps, wrap the 1300 with some foil/lead and think of a better way to mount the HSF(Stock AMD XP 2500+). Then I'll start testing on the CPU. I'm planning on buying a range of pelts to see which one would get closest to ambient without condensation on hose or cpu block.

Got a pic/2
Ideas, thoughts? :eek:
peltChill1.jpg

Last edited:
so you stuck the cold side of the pelt to the water block.
that is pretty sweet.
for the pelts get them on ebay from "thermal enterprises"
i got a 170 watt for 20 shipped
i think it is like $3 more to ship to canada.
and they have all sorts of pelts to chose from http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...enterprises&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

with the 170 i got i cant cool it enough to run it for more than about a minute.
even with my sp-94 strapped on it after about a minute the temp on the cold side started going back up (got down to 27°F)
so be careful.

i want to see some results when you get it up and running.

~Magick_Man~

do tell how good or not it works out, cause if it brings temps down a pretty good amount im might even buy another gpu block and do that

Thanks for the ebay tip magick_man, I'll probably go with 170 and 110, 50mm is max I want to work with for now. 62mm for a 350 is kinda inconvenient, 245-320 50mm sounds nice, not sure if I'll need to go that high though.

Have a passive Slot 1 P2 alume heatsink I can put a 120mm on to cool up to 170 I'm hoping, if that doesn't work, gonna hit a junk electronic store and look for massive heatsinks in random hardware.

I'm probably going to set this up on my secondary 2500+ machine so I don't fry my primary machine if anything happens :p

how many degrees did the 80watt pelt bring the water down. casue i might do that if it braught it down a good amount

thanks

Well, I finally got a bigger heatsink, just so I have everything ready for testing with 110 and 170. Leak tested for about 2 hours, bleeding mostly, those damn t-lines.

I have a D-Tek core with 1 x 5Watt papst 100.1 CFM fan with shroud.

Ambient temp is 24c
43c load fan | 40-41c load 80 watt pelt + fan
34c idle fan | 34c idle pelt + fan | 56c idle pelt only | 60c+ with nothing on (scared to go higher)

This is with a 2500+ running at 2275 - 12.5x182 Asus A7V8X-X with cheapo DDR 333 RAM, I'm gonna fiddle with the system a little more to see now far I can push it. This is just a speed for comparison with air.

I may skip the 110 and get the 170 or 200+ watt pelt next.

Pics to follow.

Last edited:
Got it to 2320, 14x166, 48 Load Fan+pelt. I need a new board with 3500 RAM, coming a week after pay day :) I have 2 unlocked 2500+ with almost same boards and ram.
I got a stick of 3500 but it's doa :/ gonna go tear them a new one in 9 hours.

Pics:
peltChill4.jpg

peltChill3.jpg

peltChill2.jpg

Cam can't focus too well with UV on :/

Gonna have to order more pelts when I get money. Going to try and stay at 40x40mm so I don't have to change my setup. I'll post new temps when I get higher watt pelts.

GREAT point squeaky... i mean it wont do crap.. .really check these pics out.. to effectively chill the water u would need 686watts of pelts... then u'll get like a nice oc and stuff... But for all the trouble and power consumption the 686 watt peltier will give u, its not really worth it...

However, with a 80watt peltier, or 176watt peltier ur gonna have some trouble time keeping the pelt stable and wicking away the heat, and ur water temps are not gonna fall to much...

What's the point? I mean ur getting ur water temps down a little bit (maybe), but Are you getting more of an oc?

no...

So then if the pelt isn't doing jack, all it is doing is lowering water temps minimally (and so minimally that u cant even oc more) what the hell is the point?

If you want to chill ur water- thats a way u can get more of an oc, but otherwise, its uselessly expensive, generates more heat in the case overall, and a waste of electricity.....

Don't use pelts at all to lower water temps... It's useless...

You have to remember that you aren't the only one who's done this.People have tried this before and if it ACTUALLY was usefull and effective, a lot more people would be doing it...

Attachments

• sdfs.jpg
    sdfs.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 237
  • watermark.jpg
    watermark.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 233
oh almost forgot, btw gotta give respect to the owner of the pics: PLAYER0 over at Liquidninjas...

Well, first off, this is an experiment to satisfy my curiosity and since I didn't see anything like this anywhere I thought I'd share and save others, that have the same itch, the expense. I’m open for any suggestions if anyone has an idea they want to try out and don’t really want to make the investment unless it works.

Second, the only reason I can't OC any more is because I'm limited by the motherboard/ram. I have better mobo on the way and ram already here.

Why use pelts? They take up less space than a heater core and make a lot less noise because you have a wide range of options for cooling solutions.

Who ever used 686 watt to chill water to ambient had a very inefficient way of doing it.

Oh and by the way, pelt chillers are widely used in medicine and military applications, cost is the main reason no one wants to do it.

686 watts?!?!? dude, he is only cooing his cpu, which puts out under 100 watts. If he can suck more than 100 watts out of his water with his pelts, he won't even need the radiator because the water will be below ambient. I'm doing nearly exactly the same thing he is using 2 110W pelts. I'm not sure if I will get my water below ambient, but I am hoping to.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=297739

I just ordered a 170watt off ebay, I just thought of a cheap and easy way to make a tubed cold plate. Get 2 U bends and some copper pipe, bang the pipe a little with a hammer to increase surface area at the top on 3 pieces of copper, solder the pipes with the 2 U's and fill any voids with lead and then hand grind top even revealing as much copper as possible. May not be the best, but it's cheap and doable.

What I really need is one of these but all they sell at MSCDirect.com are the aluminum ones.

Last edited:
For clarification the 686watt peltier was used to cool the water to right above the point of freezing point....

"Why use pelts? They take up less space than a heater core and make a lot less noise because you have a wide range of options for cooling solutions."

Are u serious? They MAY take up less space but you will definitely be making your oh so quiet wc setup a HELLUVA lot louder by introducing pelts in any scenario... You will NEED more fans and usually HIGH cfm fans and that means LOUD... 176 watt peltiers are usually cooled by water, and even then the water gets pretty warm around 50c... so ur trying to do this with AIR... you will need a serious heatsink along with a high cfm loud *** fan...

Why am I telling you this? I'm trying to help you out cuz I don't like to see money being wasted. That $$ ur wasting on pelts can be used for u to get better ram/mobo and then get a better oc, more stability, more options whatever you want... I mean if you are willing to waste some money to just satisfy ur thirst or your curiosity go ahead...

squeakygeek said:
Why not put the peltier directly on the cpu and watercool the hotside like everyone else?

Holly wombats! You can do that? :eek:
I just don't want to take the risk :) condensation and pelt failure. With water on pelt + hc/fan for backup, I feel better.

wfarid said:
For clarification the 686watt peltier was used to cool the water to right above the point of freezing point....

"Why use pelts? They take up less space than a heater core and make a lot less noise because you have a wide range of options for cooling solutions."

Are u serious? They MAY take up less space but you will definitely be making your oh so quiet wc setup a HELLUVA lot louder by introducing pelts in any scenario... You will NEED more fans and usually HIGH cfm fans and that means LOUD... 176 watt peltiers are usually cooled by water, and even then the water gets pretty warm around 50c... so ur trying to do this with AIR... you will need a serious heatsink along with a high cfm loud *** fan...

Why am I telling you this? I'm trying to help you out cuz I don't like to see money being wasted. That $$ ur wasting on pelts can be used for u to get better ram/mobo and then get a better oc, more stability, more options whatever you want... I mean if you are willing to waste some money to just satisfy ur thirst or your curiosity go ahead...

I may be going to dual loop like wymjym later on. I have room for a massive heatsink and you don't have to have fans at high rpm. I'm planning on using the exaust from the HC to cool the pelts, since the air's already moving, I don't need much more power.

Back