• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to watercooling, looking for some advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glasszon

I am building a gaming computer and I was thinking about using watercooling on it, but please keep in mind I live in New Zealand so I don't have the same voltage as people live in USA (I guess that only applies to the pump?)
Below is the watercooling gear I am thinking on getting (a friend of mine lives in US so he can ship those to me even though they are not available in New Zealand). Any advice/comments will be appreciated:

Water Blocks: Danger Den's RBX or MCW 6002
Pumps: Iwaki MD-30RLT 510GPH Pump (Jap) or Mag 7 or Eheim 1250 or Hydor L35, can't decide which pump is better, of course Iwaki pump is MUCH more expensive. :eek:
GPU Block: SilverProp Fusion GPU block or Maze4 GPU block, don't know which is better.
Tubing: tygon tubing
Radiators: caprice heatercores or ’86 Chevette
Reservoir: Do I really need this? Hoping I don't need it to save some space.
Case: Coolermaster's CM Stacker. Do you think my case is big enough to fit all the wc equipment into it?

Thanks

Glasszon.

Last edited:
No opinion to anything but the reservoir, no, you dont need it, use a T-line to save space (and water).
"What is a T-Line ? you ask." Simple, its a T, the strightforward going connectors are to be used for the cooling loop, and the 90º angled connector is connected to a pice of tubing, with an endcap... thats it.

Best of luck.
B!

But will the pump be loud when you don't use a reservoir? The main reason I am going to use watercooling is to get a good temp without killing my ears. :p

glasszon said:
But will the pump be loud when you don't use a reservoir? The main reason I am going to use watercooling is to get a good temp without killing my ears. :p

I cannot personally speak to the noise level of all pumps, but I am familiar with the Eheim 1250.

The pump itself is very quiet, but it needs a bit of care when mounting it: vibration can be transmitted into the case itself where it may get loud.
The systems I have 1250s in do not normally move, so my mounting is pretty simple-
I put the pumps on a piece of foam. :)

As for the other components- I am slightly out of the "loop" so to speak- I have not followed the recent developments too closely as I already have a lot of stuff water cooled and little in the budget available for new stuff; when I follow the newest stuff when I have no disposable income handy....desire sometimes gets the best of me. ;)

But I heartily recommend using a T-Line- results of my limited testing with reservoirs has given me slightly less performance and little improvement in fill/bleed ease.

i would say go with the RBX instead of the swiftech unless you don't like the 3 brab design, then go with the swiftech or even tdx. For gpu block, i have a silverprop fusion hl and i like it a lot. Also, since tygon is so expensive, clearflex 60 isn't that bad, mine bends pretty easily.

glasszon said:
I am building a gaming computer and I was thinking about using watercooling on it, but please keep in mind I live in New Zealand so I don't have the same voltage as people live in USA (I guess that only applies to the pump?)
Below is the watercooling gear I am thinking on getting (a friend of mine lives in US so he can ship those to me even though they are not available in New Zealand). Any advice/comments will be appreciated:

Water Blocks: Danger Den's RBX or MCW 6002
Pumps: Iwaki MD-30RLT 510GPH Pump (Jap) or Mag 7 or Eheim 1250 or Hydor L35, can't decide which pump is better, of course Iwaki pump is MUCH more expensive. :eek:
GPU Block: SilverProp Fusion GPU block or Maze4 GPU block, don't know which is better.
Tubing: tygon tubing
Radiators: caprice heatercores or ’86 Chevette
Reservoir: Do I really need this? Hoping I don't need it to save some space.
Case: Coolermaster's CM Stacker. Do you think my case is big enough to fit all the wc equipment into it?

Thanks

Glasszon.
if this is correct then you have 230V 50hz mains??
http://www.toroid.com/custom_transformers/technical_bulletin_2.htm

if so forget the Mag as it'll underperform at 50hz....

there's a 30RLT on ebay atm
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4311837731
or a 40R (seller has several...)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3826885918

(you'd need a transformer to step down to 115V...)

don't forget the 12V pumps - no voltage hassles there....
dd12v-d4 or swiftech mcp600/it's aquaextreme doppelganger....

Yes, I think that's the voltage in NZ.
So all mag suffer from the same problem? Even as big as mag 7?

When it comes to Tline vs res, what finally made up my mind was how I was going to route all the 1/2" tubing. For me personally, I needed the res to change the direction of flow. :shrug:

insidecase.JPG

Point is, don't forget a res is an option if you need it. If you're going to custom make one like I did, remember to use goop or something to make sure there are no leaks.

glasszon said:
Yes, I think that's the voltage in NZ.
So all mag suffer from the same problem? Even as big as mag 7?

yes it's common to all AC pumps - ac motors speed is governed by the frequency so a motor designed for 60hz will run slow at 50hz - that's why there are two sets of figures on an iwaki - us 50hzers get the lower ones... page 6 of 8 here... you can see that head suffers more than flow.
http://www.iwakipumps.jp/products_e/pdf/w_pdf/md_w2003.pdf

mag7 only has 12' of head to start with

:(, so that means I will have to live with a horrible pump because I live in NZ? Is there any pumps out there that can still operate decently with NZ's voltage?

glasszon said:
:(, so that means I will have to live with a horrible pump because I live in NZ? Is there any pumps out there that can still operate decently with NZ's voltage?

Have you looked at Hydor's AC pump?

Are you talking about Hydor L35? I see their spec and it seems like they have a very low head. (Even worse than mag 3)

glasszon said:

you need a pump designed for 50hz - eheim and hydor use different motors so their pumps have the same performance .....
so the difficulty is finding what you want in the US - in NZ/Australia/europe you'd get a better eheim/hydor.

you can get an "export" hydor here
http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchan...PROD&Product_Code=HydorL30-EU&Category_Code=P

if you want over 2M of head then at 50hz you need an iwaki (or a DC pump....)

can't afford to buy a pump in NZ, everything in here is so insanely expensive. :(
Is DC = dynamic current? I thought the normal electricty you got from power supply is alternate current? (In NZ they teach those stuff in sixth form and they hadn't teach us yet, should learn it later this year)

glasszon said:
can't afford to buy a pump in NZ, everything in here is so insanely expensive. :(
Is DC = dynamic current? I thought the normal electricty you got from power supply is alternate current? (In NZ they teach those stuff in sixth form and they hadn't teach us yet, should learn it later this year)

DC=direct current
AC=alternating current, switches polarity 120times a second, or 100 times a second in your case

I say get a laing D4 or a MCP600, no more worries about frequency

D4 does have a noticeable whine, collect more info by searching this fourm

gl

can't search for D4, it's below the letter limit to use the search function.

at the end I decide to buy those expensive iwaki pump because I know they will perform well here as cathar is using it too. But I have some problems finding the MD-30RZT, the best I can find is MD-30RLZT, which I can't use because it's designed to run at 110v rather than 230v. So do anyone know where I can get the MD-30RZT or I will have to get an adaptor instead?

(I read all the pumps and none of them seems to have the head pressure anywhere close to Iwaki pump, am I right or is there any pump that can get close to Iwaki's performance while operating in NZ? Because that huge price tag on the Iwaki is likely to slow the process of me building this computer. :()

Back