• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chipset blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lilneel12

what nb block will be the least restrictive in my loop

swiftech MCW20-P
dangerden maze 4
dtek chipset cooler
or another block

or should i just get the thermalright nb-c1
when it comes out??

thanks

I'm not that familiar with intel setups but do you NEED better cooling on your NB? It's usually best to leave it out if you don't really need it because it'll be easier on the plumbing, especially if you're using 1/2" tubes. That NB-C1 sure does look tempting, doesn't it? :D

you can make chipset block take a 1/4" * 2" coper plate and 3/4" 45 deg pipe connecter. file off the botom 45*too make it flat and soder it to the plate this will give you most of your flow and still Make it water cooled.

i would, but i don't have the tools or the skill to really do that

i can't offer any advice about the blocks, i haven't been in the market for a while. the best advice i can offer is to buy the block with the best clamping system - that is, with springs that you can slowly screw down. look for my post/rant from about 2 months ago about how i killed 3 motherboards with my northbridge block. i've got friends who have had it happen to them as well - these hooks instead of springs that intel now uses have GOT to go.

i really do encourage you to look for my post, because no matter how careful you are (and i was VERY careful the second two times), i think you will STILL chip your northbridge if you don't have a good clamping mechanism. i would seriously bet on it.

i think i actully saw your post when i baught my wcing stuff and i decided not to wc my nb, but my loudest fan is the nb fan now. and i figured that the thermalright nb-1 fan is just as load, and my temps are at around 42C load. i have probe right next to the die of the chip, i dont like it that high

thanks

sure thing, my advice is still: buy the block with the best mounting mechanism. any form of watercooling on the northbridge will be easily good enough for it

will look into that, but which of the ones that i listed are least restrictive?

LtBlue14 said:
sure thing, my advice is still: buy the block with the best mounting mechanism. any form of watercooling on the northbridge will be easily good enough for it
the problem is not the northbridge but the flow to rest of computer :argue:

i understand that the flow to the rest of the comp is the problem and that is the reason y i want a block that isn't restrictive,
-when i baught my blocks i was planning on buying the silverprop chipset block, but everyone said that the block will slow down flow too much and raise water temps

that is y i ask for a block that isn't as restrictive
yea i was thinking about the swiftech, it looks very simple
thanks

Guderian posted a link that answers your question, but in case you can't read the charts I'll spell it out for you: the Maze4 NB block offers the least restriction. You will still have to contend with using hooks to mount it, but it's really not that difficult or dangerous, although I will admit it's a poor system. I've remounted my Z-Chipset block nine or ten times now and have yet to damage anything, so it really comes down to going slow and steady :)

Back