• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Those evercool aluminum fans...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mribnik

I'm looking to get these aluminum fans for my heatercore..On directron.com they say they are <36dBa and on another site it says <30 dBa. Are these fans pretty quiet at full speed? Can they get near silent with a fan controller? Or are there other fans out there that have good performance at a low noise. Thanks.

I have a couple of these in push/pull on my rad and at 12v they produce a fairly good "whoosh" sound, but don't have the whine I've heard on cheap 120mm fans. Turning them down to 5-7v makes them completely silent in my setup, but I have to contend with my PSU's fan and OTES fan, so bear that in mind :)

The back of the package says: <34 at 1800rpm, <36 at 2000rpm and <39 at 2200rpm.
Airflow 71.09, 79.14 and 84.76.
I think there are better fans out there, but I got this one because it's performance isn't that important for it's specific use, but aesthetics is.
If you want to actually hear some fans and check out their specs click here

well, the looks aren't really necessary cause I don't think you'll be able to see the fans cause they'll be at the top of my case. The perfomance at a low noise is ideal though, and I'm not going to spend $23 for a silenx fan. Are panaflows my best bet? What do you guys think?

the panaflow L1A specifically. They push about 70cfm at 30dBa so that should be enough cooling for my heatercore right? Are those a better bet than the evercool's if looks isn't a factor? Also, is it better to push air through a heatercore, or pull air through a heatercore. I don't have room for both i don't think.

Ideally you want push/pull, but barring that pull is always better than push. Also, make sure you get a shroud that puts about 1 1/2 - 2" between the fan and the HC. I currently have two unshrouded fans due to space constraints and my temps are unsatisfactory. I'm almost certain one shrouded fan would outperform my current setup, so that's the way I'd go in your case.

I use the evercool 120 fans for my case. With the fan grill removed, they are quiet for 120mm fans. When you have them blowing thru the heatercore, the resistance creates a lot of air noise. The med. and high Panaflos do the same thing. The best way for quietness is a push/pull setup with the fans at 7V.. This eliminates all the air noise and cools slightly better than a one directional setup at full speed.

Look at it this way... the alum evercools are inexpensive (relatively) and run silent at 7v. there is a woosh at 12v, but thats to be expected of anything moving that amount of cfm.

Edit: Those alum fans on so-trickcomputers are not evercool's. but the price is mighty tempting.

Last edited:
I ordered two of those for my setup cause they are asteticly pleasing, fairly quiet, and do push alot of air. the only problem I had was that the one burnt out after just a few hours (now its on RMA) but I only got one now cooling my BIX...next time I think Im gonna go Panoflo

The Evercools are pretty good-
not a bad compromise between noise/power and not a bad price, usually.

Panaflo fans also rock, though they tend to be a bit more money.
Panaflo has three different model ranges in the 120x38mm fans- L, M, H; Low, Medium and High, of course.
The L's are supposed to be about as close to silent as you can get and still move any air.
The M's start making a bit of noise but give better performance and are still quiet, I have been told.
The H's are the ones I have. :)
@ 12 volts they are NOT silent fans, but they move a boatload of air! Mine are on a rheobus so I can adjust speed and at 7 volts they are barely noticeable, but I suspect the Ls would move as much air (purely guesswork.)

The Evercools are good, especially if you want the looks, but I find the Panaflo fans to be a better choice- I like the option of turning them up to Full Noise Level when needed.

Guderian said:
Look at it this way... the alum evercools are inexpensive (relatively) and run silent at 7v. there is a woosh at 12v, but thats to be expected of anything moving that amount of cfm.

Edit: Those alum fans on so-trickcomputers are not evercool's. but the price is mighty tempting.

Well, the one I got from them is an evercool.

Interesting timing, but one of my Evercools just died.

Jlin453: I saw that old Ebay auction in a different post a couple days ago and went looking for Sanyo Denkis online, but couldn't seem to find any 120mm's. Would you happen to know a place that sells them?

rogerdugans said:
Panaflo fans also rock, though they tend to be a bit more money.
Panaflo has three different model ranges in the 120x38mm fans- L, M, H; Low, Medium and High, of course.
The L's are supposed to be about as close to silent as you can get and still move any air.
The M's start making a bit of noise but give better performance and are still quiet, I have been told.
The H's are the ones I have. :)
@ 12 volts they are NOT silent fans, but they move a boatload of air! Mine are on a rheobus so I can adjust speed and at 7 volts they are barely noticeable, but I suspect the Ls would move as much air (purely guesswork.)
I bought the three Panaflo models (L1A, M1A and H1A) because I couldn't decide on which one to use on my rad.
The H1A was out of the question, much too noisy for my ears, even @ 7V...:D
I then used the L1A for a while but it doesnt move a lot of air @ 7V.
Now using the M1A. Almost silent @ 7V and still moves some air @ 12V when needed.

CD :)

Styyn said:
Interesting timing, but one of my Evercools just died.

Jlin453: I saw that old Ebay auction in a different post a couple days ago and went looking for Sanyo Denkis online, but couldn't seem to find any 120mm's. Would you happen to know a place that sells them?

Email the seller and he will sell it to you individually or create an auction. I chose to buy it directly from him. The price he quoted me individually was the same price as the starting bid to the auction, so I bought three from him. Shipping costs a bit but considering each fan was so cheap I didn't mind at all.

So realworld speaking here, how annoying are the fans, are they low pitch, high pitch, obviously not many of us have had a chance to hear these..give us an idea of what they sound like and if they are tolerable to say sleep with the computer on kinda thing.. Thanks, Josh

Back