• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

full watercooling installation *56k warn*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

viper_va

Registered
full watercooling installation in progress *56k warn*

So 7 months after getting my computer built, I've finally mustered the funds to install water cooling.

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

The components are as follows:
MCW6002PX w/S478 converter
MCW20P
MCW50
Typhoon 3.5" dual green UV reactive Bayres
MCP600
Danger Den dualcore w/shroud
1/2" clear vinyl tubing
2 Panaflo 120mm M1A
Vantec Spectrum UV CCFL

More to come, stay tuned.

Last edited:
Wheres the installation? :confused: I'm sure you probably are going to show it, but eh maybe you shoulda left a note that you are. :-/

Since I still have parts on order, I went ahead and painted my heater core.
What we have here is a Dager Den dual core w/shroud.
IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

Off I went to Home Depot for supplies. I picked up some Rustoleum black metal flake metal surface spray paint and some metal sandpaper (the variety three pack).
I sanded all exterior surfaces, excepting the fins, in increasing grits (coarse, medium, fine). The core had some solder splattered on the tanks, so I used a razor blade to pry that off, then sanded smooth. Finally, out came the dremel w/polishing wheel to burnish smooth. Then I covered the fins and fittings with painters tape.
IMG_0735.jpg

Now we can paint.

Now that our core is prepped, outside we go. We're given precious few brain cells as it is, and I dont like wasting them on spray paint fumes. If you're painting on your parent's brick patio (like me) you might want to put some newspaper out. You might avoid the chewing out at a later date.
IMG_0736.jpg

This paint is very forgiving, so a little overspray won't kill you. Dries mighty quick too. I found the hardest parts to get into were the valleys in the side fins.
IMG_0737.jpg

I love the look of this paint, contrasts great with my Lian Li PC-75. The sun glistens off it nice too.
IMG_0743.jpg

All done now, smooth as glass and tough as nails.
IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

I'll post my continuing saga once the rest of my parts show up, should be in a couple of days.

Nice! You did a really good job painting the core! :clap:

Can you please post more pictures of the core? Both the core and shroud seperate and together? I am going to get that heater core with the shroud and I want to see what it looks like. Especially how it mounts.

I would especially like to see a pic of the core WITH the shroud on in this position. It would really help me if you take a picture of the core and shroud in this exact position:
:)

viper_va said:

The thing about that shroud that jumps out at me is that there isn't that much room between the fan and the heatercore. It looks like the only thing they thought of when they designed that was how to mount the fans.

jlin453 said:
The thing about that shroud that jumps out at me is that there isn't that much room between the fan and the heatercore. It looks like the only thing they thought of when they designed that was how to mount the fans.

Exactly, that shroud looks restrictive. It is clear that is just a mounting harness and not a shroud designed to eliminate the dead spot created by the fans middle section.

I may have missed it but are there 1/2ID adapters on the GPU and NB water blocks?

Been on hiatus for awhile, but I'm back to work now. Summer school started, so I could only work in evenings. Anyhow, I started by mounting rad into case. So I jigsawed two 120mm holes in the rear of case, above power supply.

install1.jpg

I located rad there for ease of tube routing. Allowed for less restrictive bends. After filing and grinding, holes came out okay, though I did scratch the case a bit. Next, I cut down the reinforcing members of the case in order to mount rad flush with top of the case.

install2.jpg

You can just see where one side of the c-channel was cut away.

Next came rad assembly. Order was fan>shroud>rad>case. Fans are 120mm Panaflo M1A. Threaded brass rod was used on the outer 4 holes. with threaded nylon rods on the inner 4 holes. Brass and nylon nuts hold it all together.

install3.jpg

install4.jpg

install5.jpg

All in all, looks very nice and fits together tightly.

jlin453 said:

Yup I agree. That shroud looks like it covers more than half of the heater core surface area......you might want to re-think that design. You should have about an inch between the fans and the heater core or the air flow will be severly restricted.....and thats the only way your water will get cooled.

EDIT: well maybe 1/3. but it looks great!

Next came mounting of the waterblocks. This is what screwed me in the end. First off, Swiftech, if you're going to include mounting nuts, it would help if they actually stayed on. The provided acorn nuts for the MCW20 popped off from the slightest pressure. I had to scavenge for replacement nuts, and in the end even those didn't work. That said, the mounting of the CPU and VGA blocks went like a breeze.

install9.jpg

install10.jpg

install11.jpg

The hard parts over, all I had to do was shoehorn the sytem into the case.

install12.jpg

install13.jpg

install14.jpg

With everything installed, I thought my troubles were over. Boy was I wrong. Booting up for the first time, I get nothing. No POST, no beeps, nothing. So I go through all the troubleshooting iterations, and settle on the MCW20 as the cuplrit. It was shorting across some resistors or something on the northbridge. So I electrical taped across those, and I finallt get it to boot into Windows. Yay! It was short lived. After one night of operation, my board fried itself.

System works now. I removed the MCW20 from the loop, ordered new IC7Max3. I'm very satisfied with results. I haven't pushed the system yet. Running a 3.0 at 3.4, I get an idle temp of 40/41°C. Just got it running bout 2 hours ago.

install15.jpg

install16.jpg

Back