• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Controlling pump with fan controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyberwiz01

Hello everyone, I was wondering if it is ok to control the speed of a DC pump such as the MCP600 with a fan controller. Are there any dangers to running it at less voltage aside from it not having enough to spin. My MCP600 makes just enough noise to be more audible than my 7volted panaflos and I was wondering if it would be ok to turn it down a bit so that it is silent and not just "quiet". I have the Sunbeam fan controller so it should be able to handle the wattage.

i think it should work but idk what the wattage the pump uses and if the pumps ac but my guess is it should work as long as it doessnt use way too much wattage that the controller wont handle it ... but dont take my word for it...... cuz even if the pump only uses up abit off watts, the current draw could still be high........

Sounds like it would work. The pump only uses 9w, and what's the sunbeam rated for? 20w per channel? Just watch your temps when you turn it down, and you should be just fine.

If you plan on running the pump at anything besides stock voltage... I would highly suggest installing a flow meter somewhere inline on your system - perhaps near the cpu...

I used my fan controller to bleed the bubbles out of my system with my MCP600. It does quite well but you just need to watch your temps closely b/c a small voltage variation killed the flowrate of that pump.

Update, I tried turning it down on the fan controller, and Mr. Furguson was right, it really takes very little voltage to kill the flow, and the pump is not any quieter unless it's completely off. Oh well I guess I'll have to live with the small amount of noise that It puts out.

Back