• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problems during initail setup...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Osirus

Ok, I got my wc external unit setup, well I filled the res up with water, and pluged the pump in (ehiem 1250), it started to suck all the water from the res, so I started to fill it back up, well now its not sucking an pushing the water all the way thru the system, and it has a lot of air bubbles, and the biggest one is from the res to the pump. Here is how I have my setup

Here is a list of hardware Im using
Pump - Ehiem 1250
Heatercore 77' Bonivlle
Block - DD TDX socket 478
Res - DD Single Bay Res 5 1/2

All fittings are 1/2

on the Ehiem 1250

bottom line of the pump> res > heatercore > block > res > top of the pump.

I have mad air bubbles, and cant seem to find out why the pump isnt sucking and pushing all the water...

Any help would be appricated. I can take pics of the setup if needs be.

Last edited:
If there isn't any water in the pump, it won't. A huge air bubble in the pump is bad, at the least it's just keeping it form pumping, at the worst it killed it.

Tip it so some water runs into the pump. Then try it.

I have tried that, it doesnt even run all the way through the system, Ill tip it till the water starts filling the lines and stuff, and ill level it out, and then it will start the same process all over it with mad air bubbles in the system.

This is all during the 24 hour leak proof testing..

EDIT : tried many different settings, and nothing has worked, Im almost about to give up on this project and stick with the crap I have... (Aqaurious II)

Last edited:
Are you adding fluid when you get an air bubble in the res?

It will take a while to get all the air out.

Hmmmm, have you tried cycling the pump (switching it on and off repeatedly)? Sometimes that helps when I have a problem like that, I guess it moves the bubbles around inside the system. Also, have you tried physically turning the system upside down/around?
Also, do you have two resevoirs in the system? Your word description of the loop is confusing me a bit since the res is appearing in there twice...
Posting a pic of the setup might help us troubleshoot as well.

Good luck getting it all worked out!

I cant really turn the entire setup upside down, its already in the extra case I am using.. Here are some pics of the system as of now.. There kinda big, but there straight from the digi cam...

I cant really just turn the system on, and off again, its plugged into the wall, how long would I have to leave the pump on before all the bubbles are gone?

I fill the res up till it starts back up the tubing from the pump, then plug the pump in, and let it suck all the water out, and I add water again until the res is filled up, Its kinda wierd that when I do this, it looks like it is pumping at full speed, but at the bottom of the pump, its not sucking a full tube of water, its like a stream, and its like that at a few different places in the system.

Here are the pics.
http://sevenlabs.net/wc

first off your pump outlet is all wrong... you don't want a t-line there.

when filling the system, you must make sure the pump inlet is primed (water in the pump with extra above it). Then you turn on the pump till it moves all that water through the loop, turn it off, and add more water till it's primed again. Repeat.

If i see things correctly you're running res -> pump -> rad -> waterblock ?

crimedog said:
first off your pump outlet is all wrong... you don't want a t-line there.
I don't think you want a T at all. If you're using a res just fill the system from there and forget the T.

crimedog said:
If i see things correctly you're running res -> pump -> rad -> waterblock ?
That's how I see it too.

Bleeding bubbles is hard to do with that type of res. A pump like that has such powerful suction that it can pull water out of the res faster than the water can make its way around the center barrier. If you have air in the res then the water level at the suction port will drop and air ends up getting sucked in.

Last edited:
thats not really a t-line there, I had to use a T connector for connecting the tubing, there is a bolt inside the top of it, almost reaching the end of the line, so its just alike a 90* bend there. I could take it out all together, but I have to move the pump forward and unbolt it from the case.

Yes the flow direction is res > pump > rad > waterblock

When priming the pump like you said, I fill it up till its at the res again, turn it on, and let it empty all the way? turn it off, and then fill it to the same height again? and I do that until I get it fully through the system?

I hope Im getting this right, I want to get this setup as soon as I can.

Thanks for the info.

cant offer any more suggestions on bleading your system that hasn't already been mentioned, but consider a shroud for your heatcore later on, it will help eliminate the dead spot from those fans. search this forum for ideas

Osirus said:
When priming the pump like you said, I fill it up till its at the res again, turn it on, and let it empty all the way? turn it off, and then fill it to the same height again? and I do that until I get it fully through the system?

Exactly. Once it's all the way through the system you will be able to leave the pump on and it'll be a loop :) Then you just have to wait for all the air bubbles to come out.

Ill give that a shot.. I havent even been able to leak test it for 24 hours, Im hoping to get this issue fixed soon as I want to test my new self made WC kit and get some better temps. I would also assume this is the reason you test it first, out side the system, to get the air bubbles out and stuff...

Last edited:
Got it working correctly!!! Thanks Crimedog for all the help, your information helped me out the most, My 24 hour test period has started, I cannot even install this in the system yet as Danger Den forgot to include my mounting hardware :-( but a call to them got that fixed right away!

Thanks alot guys.

Back