• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tubing and fittings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

I have 1/2" tubing what size fitting do I need? And how do attach them, just plug the tubing onto the fitting, and that's it?

dicecca112 said:
I have 1/2" tubing what size fitting do I need? And how do attach them, just plug the tubing onto the fitting, and that's it?
1/2" hose barb fits 1/2" tubing. You just push the tubing onto the hose barb. Don't forget tubing clamps. the outside diameter of the tubing should be 3/4". The best clamps have a fairly narrow clamping range...from 11/16" to 13/16" so make sure you get the appropriate sized clamp. The metal clamps you get at Home Depot have a wider range, so they're more forgiving.

The threaded end of the fitting should simply match the thread size of whatever you're trying to screw it into. For example, a Mag 3 pump has a 1/2" NPT male thread on the output side and a 1/2" female thread on the suction side. So you would buy a 1/2" barb X 1/2" FNPT fitting for the output side and a 1/2" barb X 1/2" MNPT fitting for the suction side.

The measurement given for the tubing will match the measurement given for the hose barb, since generally the tubing is measured by ID (inner diameter), and the fittings are measured by OD (outer diameter), although they are a bit bigger for a good fit with the appropriately sized tubing. Thus, as Graystar said, 1/2 fittings will work with your 1/2 tubing.
To attach them all you HAVE to do is push the tubing all the way over the hose barb. You don't technically need hose clamps and I have run my rig for extended periods of time without the hose clamps on, but it is a very good idea to put hose clamps on. The tubing will tend to stretch over time, thus leaving the fit looser and it more likely to leak.
Good luck setting up your watercooling!

And try to find double-ringed barbs if you go with plastic. They're a lot more secure should you choose not to use clamps. :thup:

Back