• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Frig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
asuming it still works you should be able to salvage a large part of a phase change system.
compressor, condensor and probably some other things like the capilary tube and things like that.
i am not sure of the evap in a fridge but that might be usable.
if nothing else you could use it as a water chiller
you should try to get it and check out what works on it.
and be sure to update us on how it turns out.

~Magick_Man~

Since is sounds like you don't know much about phase change systems, I can't say I would recomend you ripping apart that fridge. If it is old it probably has some pretty nasty refregerent in it, and releasing it is very bad for the enviroment and can harm you as well. To do anything usefull with the parts once you rip them out you would need to know how to make a custom phase change system, which is very complex. You would also need a number of tools you probably don't have.

The best thing to do with that fridge is to use it..... as a fridge!!!

You can take the whole fridge, as is, and use that to cool your computer. If you have watercooling, just put a resevoir in the freezer section of the fridge and fill it with antifreeze. Then just pump that cold fluid through your system for cooling delight. Drill small holes for the tubes in the door of the fridge and your set. (if you drill them in the side there is a decent chance you will hit the phase change system depending on the design of the fridge)

AS long as you don't cut the loop going from the compressor and simply diaassamble the fridge AROUND the refrigerating tubing id say go for it, you have got to start somewhere.

I've done what matttheniceguy recommends, but with a minifridge. Although it works very well, I'd reccommend against it. It completely immobilizes your system, can be difficult to get set up, and the fridge itself often needs additional cooling on the radiator that gets rid of heat (forget the name, i wanna say condensor..). Also, that condensory-thing is hidden in the side of the fridge itself, at least on smaller models.

It'll work and work very well, but after having done it myself, I'd say an old AC unit as a chiller is a far better way to go.

thanks for the info guys, it leaked or something thats why threw the thing out im not gonna mess with it. Im sure i could figure the complex parts on getting it to cool my CPU but its a junk heap now that i got to see it better.
I do have my own mini fridge but i use it to cool my soda and stuff. If anyone knows a good mod i can do to the mini fridge to be able to keep using it to cool my soda as well as my water in my WC system id be most appriecative.

Back