• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My friend needs an odd sized radiator....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
Ok, so my friend has some wierd little POS case, and he's completely against cutting it. Even after I showed him how well my 120mm blowhole turned out, he said no. He already has a BIM on the front intake 80mm fan of his case, but his temps aren't that great. (water is 32C, cpu is 51C) the water is from a radiochack monitor deal, and cpu is MBM while running prime 95. Yea, I know, not accurate, bear with me. This is in a fairly cool room too.

his setup is:
A7N8X
2400+ @ 2.36ghz with 1.875Vcore
9500pro @ 350/321

Cooled by this:
Maze4->old-style DD gpu block->BIM->via aqua 1300

So, he has two 60mm fans in the back of his case, and he wants to use them to mount a radiator.

I can't find anything this small, my first thought was to get a heatercore and cut/solder the tubing so it would work, but it'd need some serious airflow, and that would be loud.

So, I was thinking of using some copper heatsinks and copper stock. My basic idea was to take some copper stock in a U shape, and just cross-drill a basic path through the U, put barbs on each end, and solder the heatsinks to the inside of the U shape. Make a duct deal for this, and mount it to the fans.

I know, it's probably dumb, and pointless, but hey, he's paying as long it drops his temps some.

Will it work somewhat well? I'd estimate we're dumping 150-170 watts of heat into this loop right now, and it's running pretty warm.

can we see a picture of his case or could you list the case?

e.g. even if the holes don't line up, can a radiator actually *fit* ??

or has he ever considered something like an external setup, such as a koolance exos?

I don't know what the model of his case is, and I don't have a digicam. :(

I didn't think about whether it would fit or not...hmmm...

As far as external goes, he already has a water cooling system, just looking to improve it.
I don't really think it would be very easy to integrate an Exos into it. I might be able to talk him into an aluminum external box with a couple heatercores, though.

i went to advance auto and asked them if i could look in the back and find a copper heater core and they let me and i found one that i wanted bet if you ask nicely you can do the same

Back