• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best block for the money.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magick_man

Forum Magician
since i am just starting to go towards water for my computer i need some advice on block selection.
so i was wondering which block would be good to run my 2.4c and a 170 watt pelt.

i have been looking at a couple of blocks and i was wondering which one would perform better.
D-TEK SPIRAL
D-TEK TC-4 REV2
any other 1/2" id wb
or the MAZE 4
if one of the first 3 performs similarly to the maze 4 i would like to get it instead of the maze bc i am trying to do the whole wc setup for 60-70 (i need cpu/pelt wb, rad/hc, fans)although i can spend more if i have to.

and while i am at it what would be the best heatercore/radiator to get for the cheapest price.

any help would be very much appreciated
thanks in advance, ~Magick_Man~

You need a block that can accept a coldplate, which only the maze4 can.

And you'd need the maze4-1.

You need a block that can accept a coldplate, which only the maze4 can.

And you'd need the maze4-1.
well actually i was thinking i would make my own cold plate, and make it big enough so i can drill holes in it and hold it in place with the block mounting hardware.
if that makes any sense, do you think it would work or do i have to go with the maze4-1.
because if i have to go with that one it'll screw my budget all up. being like $55 by it's self.

thanks for the quick responses so far
~Magick_Man~

Well, you could just get a maze4 and tap holes in it if you wanted.

I think that a coldplate that big would be hard to insulate, and I'm not sure how you'd secure it you the mounting hardware without screwing up the whole mounting of the block. If you have a a way, then go for it though.

well yeah i could do that, is the maze 4 much better than most blocks about the same price range

and also what heatercore should i get.
(i am new to this stuff and have to idea what is good and what is a ripoff)

~Magick_Man~

*bump* come on please i really want to do this but i dont have the needed knowledge as far as picking out pieces.

thanks, ~Magick_Man~

77 boniville heater core
16 bucks and it performs very
well you can buy it at advance auto for that price but look around could find it cheaper

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcw5002-64T.asp

MCW5002-64t-inst-630x667.gif

MCW5000-PT-COLDPLATE.jpg

burns in at $125, and therefore over your budget

i was wondering if the double hc that dd sells is better by a large enough margin to justify the size.
i have realised that i wont be able to do it for the budget that i had originally thought so the cost of the double core is fine. (if it is better by a noticable amount)
and the more i think about it the more i am thinking about the double core.
b/c later i want to add gpu and nb water blocks with pelts and the double core would be more "future proof" if i am thinking right.
someone correct me if i am wrong.
i want to order the hc and wb in like the next hour or 2 so they will ship tomorrow.

and thanks for all the help so far, ~Magick_Man~

*edit* i just ordered 8 delta 120mm x 38mm 150 cfm fans from excess solutions so i think with the double core i can get water temps down to about .5°c above ambient :) (i wish) but hey the fans were $4.00 new so i couldnt resist
link-bottom of the page, i got 8 of those

Last edited:
oh and one more thing, for the maze 4 is it a bad thing to get the lucite top?
i would like to see the insides but if it is prone to cracking or anything else i will get the metal top instead.

thnx, ~Magick_Man~

come on someone out there must know, because i sure don't.
so pls double check my thinking before i order this and regret it later.

~Magick_Man~

Just adding my experience in:
My maze with lucite top cracked within a matter of weeks. (about 3 I think). It didn't seem like I had it on very tight either.... :(

ok so i went ahead and ordered the dual heatercore from dd and the maze 4 with the lucite top and 1/2" barbs all around. so i hope it was a good idea bc it is too late to do anything about it now. :)

~Magick_Man~

Just adding my experience in:
My maze with lucite top cracked within a matter of weeks. (about 3 I think). It didn't seem like I had it on very tight either....
hmm,i didnt see this and i just ordered it :( i hope i dont have any problems like that.i can't afford to replace anything in my computer.

~Magick_Man~

lucite shouldn't be that bad, dun worry about it

but definitely use antifreeze and not ethanol or methanol

and stay away from "water wetter" and anything "zerex"

and be sure to use distilled water and not tap and it should be peaches n' roses

_

Back